1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you were going to change your rig, which would you change first, amp or cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass6811, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Amp...DUH!

31 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Cab...DUH!

57 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Where would you start?

Why? Would be interesting to hear, as well...

Thanks!

2. It's the old which is more important, amp or cab question, in a new dress. Still the cab.

lomo, blindrabbit, shoot-r and 3 others like this.
  3. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Seeing as how I use combo amps incorporating the amp and cab in one piece...both I guess at the same time lol

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The,cab has a much bigger effect on tone, as well as portability, as well as looks (if anyone cares about that).

5. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    The cab is the final, but possibly most important part of the chain. A good cab sounds good. A good amp through a crappy cab still sounds crappy. Never underestimate good speakers.

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi pbass6811 :)

Carrots DUH!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Andii Syckz and Nashrakh like this.
  7. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Usable, clean amps are easy to design and build, speaker cabs less so.

8. jeffreylee

jeffreylee

Jan 6, 2013
    To state the obvious, a good head won't save a bad cab or vice versa. The important thing is that they're well matched to each other and they respond to what you're doing. For me, I need to pull a good tone from the amp and/or other devices in the signal chain or it doesn't matter what cab I'm using.

gregmon79 and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'd start with the amp, because the cabs I already have are plenty good enough for my purposes, and I enjoy building amps more than cabs.

smogg likes this.
  10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Both. I rock a combo. :)

Giffro likes this.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The instrument cable because it’s inexpensive.

Everything else I keep the same, why change what works.

Huw Phillips likes this.
  12. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    The only change I'm interested in making to my rig right now is adding a second cabinet for added volume/loudness. I'm happy with what I have, just want the ability to move a little more air.

13. Nuthin. There is not a thing that I would want to change. Not the amp , not the cab , not the bass , and not my underwear. The only gas I have had in years smells really bad.;)

14. Schroeder 12.6 PL x 2. Yowza!

15. I was taught to follow the signal chain. That's the order I follow. Bass, Amp, Cab. All cabs today sound great. And, I can take a great amp and easily make an average cab sound beyond it's supposed capabilities. In fact, cabs are my least worry. I follow my signal chain. And it has worked for me. Bass, effects if you have em, to amp to cab. And it's way easier to haul a head around to test cabs, than haul a cab around to test heads. I always test what I'm buying with the gear it'll be used with.

Count Bassie likes this.
  16. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Depends on what you're working with.

I'm personally pretty happy with the amps I have right now, but wouldn't mind upgrading my cabs some day.

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Depends on the goal. What am I trying to accomplish?

18. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    There was a time when I would say the amp comes first with the speaker choice not far behind. That started changing once we had an influx of well-designed preamps being paired with some of the latest Class D power sections. I feel like this has started to make the differences in the preamp more apparent which can be subtle as you get to the high end. With this shift, the speaker choice has taken top spot for me as the more influential change. It's now more in-line with that prevailing sentement in guitar amps and hi-fi. Nowadays we have some mighty fine equipment to choose from!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  19. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Well, it depends on what you have. I upgraded my amp because most of my amps are are sort of broken or too heavy.

I have a good, but heavy cab, so next up is a light weight cab.

20. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    Don't "need" anything, but would change my amp. Have all the air movement I need and my bass cuts through the mix ok, but I just don't like the GK700rb sound. No warmth at all to my ear.

Damn I miss my old Trace Elliot 300w tube head!!! Well.... I miss the sound anyway. Don't miss moving that beast.

murphy likes this.