Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you were going to spend $600 on a Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Sting bass

19 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. '51 reissue

71 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. Zone bass

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. I recommend something else

74 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. I recently saw a Sting bass in the window of this place: www.cititour.com/newsstand/shopper_s_guide/shops/shops2.htm
    and I must say its looks turned my head. They want $750 for it w/gigbag. :rolleyes:

But, at Musiciansfriend, they're $599 :hyper:

So, which of these basses in the $600 range would you buy, and why?

www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0251902

www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0271902

www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0135800

Main sound I'm after is vintage, and flatwounds will be used.

Any ideas welcomed. :)

Mike

P.S. Aren't the Sting bass and the '51 pretty much identical?

2. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    In the T/B For Sale forum there is a Lakland JO4 available - great bass

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    If it had to be Fender, how about a used 57 or 62 reissue. Those basses are hot!

4. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd say it depends on two decisions: the '51 has a slab body while the Sting has a contoured body, and the '51 has that cool vintage yellow color while the Sting only comes in 2TS and had the less than popular autograph at the 12th fret. Which body/color do you prefer?

Used Stings seem to be more common and cheaper than used '51s. I believe that the Stings are Japanese while the '51s are MIM.

I've got a Sting, and once I get the covers on it, it'll be ripping. I got it at a steal from GC during the Labor Day sale for a price far less than I could get a '51.

Glenn D.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The '62 reissue P is great. That's more like $600 used though.

As far as I can tell, the Sting and the '51 are pretty much identical beyond body contouring and finish.

I do have a hankering to try the Mike Dirnt P Bass

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I tried the Dirnt and it was VERY nice. Here are two suggestions:

1.) Low Down Sound has a used Candy Apple Red Mike Lull vintage P-bass for $894 right now. That's a smokin' deal for one of those and I'd even snap it up if I had the scratch.

2.) Basspalace.com has a sweet MIJ 62 P reissue (early 80's) in like new condition for $589. Which is a great deal cause those things have VIBE.

Either of those would kill. Otherwise, I'd try a few Dirnts in a store and buy the best of the bunch.

Oh, and one last comment--if you're serious about either the 51P OR the Sting, know that the necks are like bassball bats and that you should be ready to replace the pickup. Neither are dealbreakers, just something to think about.

7. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    a $600 Fender? I didn't read any other posts, but I say get the Geddy Lee. I paid $600 for mine(tax included)

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 :)

I have one and it totally rox. Awesome tone and playability... enough to get me to overcome my black J problem (black's always been my absolute least favorite J finish).

9. +1...............I played one at my local store last weekend....fantastic is all I can say...and it only 600...

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    If it were me I would not buy a Fender, I would get a Lakland used, or a G&L tribute.

11. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    geddy lee jazz or '51 p...if you're price range can go up a recommend a 62 jazz

12. agreed.

13. my personal favorite is the 51 reissue, but i have tried a dirnt and it is indeed a great bass. good tone and feel, would definitely recommend trying that one.

14. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    you just said you want vintage tone and plan to use flatwounds...you didn't say what kind of music you will play. Might make a difference...but overall I'd suggest a used 62 reissue humbucker precision. Good for most any style music.

15. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I would say a geddy lee or a 2nd hand MM sig

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven' tried the MM sig, does it get a vintage sound? Of course, I guess the answer depends on what you think vintage is ;)

17. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    + 1

18. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    buy a MIM fender bass, put 62 re-issue pickups in it... some nickels roundwounds or even flatwounds too

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    IMHO the Used Lakland or G&L was a good suggestion. Sometime's you can snag a Used 4 string Peavey Cirrus for that price... IMHO that would be the best option.

20. What about the MIM 60s Jazz? Very cool bass. Great tone, vintage feel, sweet looks. Unless you really want a P bass, in which case I'd say the 51 is a great choice with a comfortable neck.