1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you were "sampled"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Yes, I'd contribute my bassline to a hip hop track

23 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. No, I'll be taking my bassline back, thanks anyway

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What would you think?

If a hip hop producer came upon your bands CD (lets say all of you are in a band, and all of your bands have released at least one album). Some famous guy too, you'd hear it on the radio. You would be credited, but we all know how that goes, really tiny print buried in the liner notes.

Would you be honored? Wow, this guy thought my bassline was kick ass enough to snag and throw into a hip hop song. I must have truly been groovin'

or

Bastard! I wrote that bassline, it should only be used where I deem fit, which is with my band. I don't want to be some named buried under all the fine print, I want to be part of the band. Screw you 50 Cent, this is MY bassline.

I picked yes, but then again, I'm not offended by sampling, and I like hip hop. I'd rather be in the studio, laying down tracks for them, but that's not a poll option. ;)

2. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I picked no, but only because I wouldn't be able to take being accused of stealing the bassline everytime that I played out somewhere!

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    No pay me, no play me. That simple. Fitty can afford to buy my bassline or find someone else's. Your buried-small-print album credit is no good with me.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I would have to get paid and if they don't want to pay me I will definitely take it to court.I have no bass lines to give away for free to some one who more than likely would be able to compensate me.

Taking my bass line and sampling it and only giving me credit means nothing to me.

You have to understand that that bass line of yours that they sampled has the possibility to help take the artist to platinum status and put more money in their pockets and in doing so why not get payed for your talent as well.

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Burried in the small print=credited=payed...

(lawyers and accountants are good at reading small print, so if its credited, then you're paid).

All cool to me.

Ian

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    This isn't quite the same situation but, i have a friend who has used many of my basslines in his music. He uses an Akai i believe and produces music for his own personal use. I don't really mind at all, i enjoy listening to what he does with my basslines. It looks like we may start recording on a more serious level soon with a few horn players, so i'm looking forward to that. If i had not agreed to let him sample my basslines to begin with, i might not even be involved with the upcoming project. But if some bigname producer with a label wanted to sample my stuff.... well i would have to be paid.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You can be credited and not recieve a cent.

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    +1. I sure would like to get compensated if someone used a bassline of mine. However, I'd be honoured if someone wanted to. Anyway, so far I'm perfectly safe as I haven't recorded anything that have been played in public yet... :bag:

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    if it were Kanye West or Timbaland asking for one, that would be good. 50 Cent could take a running jump though.

10. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    true... but if its a derived work then you have some copyright to it. A credit is going to stand up pretty well as an admission that they derived something from your work.

Ian

11. Don't you get paid if someone samples your music?

If it was for an old school hip-hop type song... I'd go with yes.

12. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    No problem here, getting permission would consist of a flat fee or royalties. But other than that, I love Hip Hop and Rap in general so it would be no different for me than a recording session that I didn't have to come to.

13. They aren't honouring me or my bassline by wanting to steal my work. They are honoring the potential they see my work has to make them some easy money!

So I voted no. If my bassline can't make it on it's own merit in the context I wrote it for then I see no gain in allowing it to be used by some hip hop artist for his own gain!

14. Permission would be absolutely necessary if I/my band was to be sampled. I'd like to hear how the sample was being used before allowing them to use the sample.

15. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    They'd have to pay me. Quite a bit, actually, because I would thereafter never be able to play it without being accused of ripping off whoever's song. Kinda reminds me of the time I started playing the beginning of "Portrait of Tracy" and a girl came up and asked me "Isn't that by Chingy?"

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I don't care who it is,they have to pay me.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

no pay, no play.

18. first off your all way greedy >:C

second i would let him sample it for free if i liked that song. don't want a good bassline on a P.O.S. song now would we?

19. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I would probably have to pay someone to actually sample one of my basslines! I doubt that anyone would be brave enough (or that poor of a judge of quality bassmanship) to do it on their own for free!!!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    That is funny :)