If you were super rich, what would you do with your money?....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by miko, Oct 9, 2003.

1. heh-heh.

now -- what the bleeding heart liberal in me really wants to know is, how much would you give to charity?

but of course, you can talk about all the other yummy stuff you'd acquire if you had lots of dough.

i'm talking hypothetically, you have, oh...
    [moves pinky finger to mouth]

100 MILLIONdollars to spend.

i ask, of course, because in checking out some of the numbers here at work, i notice that the people, trusts and organizations with about that much money to play with, are giving away about 5-10% of it. i found that figure to be kinda cheap, especially given how quickly that money compounds.

when i am working steady, i give almost 15% of my money to charities. even being broke, i give my money to homeless people and others in need. just seems like the right thing to do. i suspect i'd give at least 25% to charities if i had big bucks.

So. Name yer figures!

oh, and as for the yummy stuff -- all i'd really want is a 5-bedroom house on 5 acres with a big basement, custom drums, a killer in-home recording studio, a boat, a horse, and of course... lots and lots of shoes.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Of course i would buy my dream bass gear.

I dont really know what that would be at the moment, as far as amps go.

But for bass i would get some kind of Warwick thumb, any old Steinbergers that i could find, and idk what else.

I would also buy (i play tennis) a few more tennis raquets. (i currently have 3 , yes they are al the same model) because when you break a string during a match..

I would buy a Mercedes CL600

And for chartities, i would give 5-10 million dollars to random ones.

I would give 5-10 million to family/friends.
  3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I'd invest all of it in an Atlantis Resort-style retirement home in the South Pacific affordable for American baby boomers and make billions.

The charitable part of me would just hook up every person i've ever cared for, at least well enough that they'd never have to work again. And my developmentally disabled clients, they'd live like kings and queens. I reckon i'd give away %20.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'd buy a Pro-Stock team and go racing full time.

How much to charity? Dont know. I'd need to look into how my money would be used by various charities before donating any. I'd like to make sure the money is being used for the intended purpose (cancer research, firefighting equipment, etc....) rather than going into some fat-cat's wallet or vacation fund.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Just like a woman. :p :D

100 million?

I'd keep 10 for myself, and give the rest away anonymously and would make sure it got to whichever charity, cause or person(s) I intended it for - no middleman!

Ever since I found out the head of The United Way made $600,000 (remember the story about 10 years ago?) I am extremely cautious to whom, and how much I give.

I have bought homeless people food, but I WILL NOT give them any money. I did it a few times, and found them the next morning so stoned or drunk that they had wet themselves. If they're going to OD, it ain't gonna be on my dime.

I would also buy another Ibanez bass.

Maybe a new cord. :rolleyes:

Now, go away. You bother me. :D

Edit: Mike N., I didn't read your post before I posted mine. It does, however mean that we think alike.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Give most of it away. I can live on 5-10 million for the rest of my natual life. Heck, even at a 1% interest, I'd still make more than I could spend. On 5 Mil, 50,000 a month, if it was in a standard issue Washington Mutual checking account. I believe. I might be wrong. 5 million is still a lot of money.

Of the remaining millions, I'd give to music/arts programs, schools, and medical research (cancer, ect) charities.
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I would buy some great basses, a good amp and a double bass. I would give a lot to charity and my family.

edit..I forgot:
    A studio, electric and acoustic guitar, mandolin, banjo and a lot of other cool instruments..
  9. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I would form an elite paramilitary organization and vanquish some impoverished South American/African nation. There I would preside as an enlightened dictator and create a Utopian-Eugenic society of superhumans with the mission of purifying humanity's declining genetic potency. I will call these people my "children" and they will love me like the benevolent father I am.
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd be a musician until the money ran out.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would get a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.
  12. Atta boy, Jazzman! :)

Mike :cool:
  13. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    If I had that kind of money, I would go to the food store and buy myself something other than rice and dried beans:D
  14. good thread

if i were super rich i'd do the following:

put a large amount in savings so my family would never have to worry bout money.

start a charity along the lines of Xaviers music for kids thingy

buy Conklin, no not A conk, the whole company and have them make basses exclusively for me :D

do some travelling, most likely on an uber yacth (sp?)

buy an island and make it my own country (as that inventor guy did) and of course, fly a helicopter to work too :D

buy a super server for paul to run TB :)

thats all
  15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Spend it foolishly and end up broke again....like I am now! :p
  16. Family, bills, charity, bass gear, other things.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Buy a big house at the hill and then laugh at everyone else.
  18. 100 Million Dollars? I'd gather all the true powerful communist in the world for a world-wide revolution and install the 4th International Communist state.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ahhh here we go again. We used to sit around and play this game when our original band was looking like it might take off (it didn't - long story).

First of all remember that money can't buy happiness. You can probably rent it though!

The first thing I'd do is invest enough of it so that I would never, ever have to work another day in my life! Just live off the interest and growth.

I'd also move to Vanuatu or one of the other tax havens. No point giving half of it to the Government!

The cancer charities would get plenty. But to be honest I'd pay out the mortgages of my family and closest friends first.

As for material belongings, I'm actually not that hard to please. I'm happy with my bass gear. Maybe a 5.1 surround sound home theatre, oh and a modest house to put it in. That'll do me.
  20. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Are you familiar with the group, Skerik and the Syncopated Taint?