1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If You Were the St. Louis Rams...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jeff K, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    ...Would you trade the #1 pick to the Steelers for Ben Roethlisberger and the 18th overall pick?

The NFL Network is reporting that the Steelers are not ruling out trading Big Ben; and that they reportedly think very highly of Sam Bradford.

So if you're the Rams, would you be interested in a two-time Super Bowl winning QB in the prime of his career who might or might not be ready to mature and toe the line behavior wise? The Steelers will reportedly listen to any offers, but clearly a deal with the Rams would be at the top of their wish list.

I've always been a Steelers fan (since I was a boy growing up in the '50s). If nothing of a tempting nature is offered, I'm hoping that Ben gets the message this time and stays out of trouble in the future.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If I were the Los Angeles Rams I would never have moved to St. Louis.

3. If I were the Rams, I'd take Suh and tell the rest of the league to bite me...however, the chances of that happening are pretty much slim and none...and that means that Suh will be in Detroit.

As for Big Ben, I doubt anyone will be trading for him, he's a good player, but he's also a problem child, sadly.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ben could have been (maybe still could be) the most epic qb the steelers ever had, but he seems dead set on wrecking it any way he can. frankly, i'm more of a steelers fan than a ben fan, and if the dude can't get a freaking clue by now, he's never going to. as much as it hurts to even contemplate, maybe he needs to hit the road.

5. The Rams need so much help at almost every position that trading the #1 for a bunch of lower 1st round picks would probably be the wisest thing they could do. I've always been of the opinion that in a game situation the team that controls the line controls the game, so it might behoove the Rams to consider rebuilding their lines, especially the offensive line. Being a die-hard Patriots fan I've seen what a top-notch offensive line can do (and fans of other top teams can attest to this), so if I ran an NFL team the building and maintainance of the offensive line would be a top priority with me.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    While I agree with you, there have always been a lot of teams who don't seem to have a problem picking up "problem children". Some that come to mind right off the top of my head are the Raiders, Bengals, Ravens, Jets, Patriots (at least with Moss), Cowboys, Eagles, etc. Of course I don't think the Steelers would ever deal him to a Division rival, so that immediately eliminates the Ravens, Bengals, & Browns.

I think the problem with so many of these star athletes is that they've been coddled since Jr. High, and quickly develop an attitude of entitlement. It's sad. But conversely, it's refreshing when you come across the outstanding athlete who also seems to have their head on straight, and appreciates the advantages that their talent has provided.

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I don't know anything about football,...but isn't Ben somewhat of a risky player to pick-up. I don't know if he's going to jail, but he seems hell bent on putting himself there.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Absolutely he's a risky player to pick up. As were so many other "problem" players who are picked up by teams every year. Bottom line is it's a business. If somebody thinks he can win them a Super Bowl, they'll overlook a lot of flaws. But I agree that most teams would be reluctant to take a gamble on him. Of course it only takes one...

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I guess you could say that Emery was a risky pickup (hockey analogy before all you football guys say huh) for the Flyers. He injured himself before he could become the locker room cancer everyone thought he'd be.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    :D Yeah, that hasn't worked out too well for the Flyers.

And Ben has done the injury thing as well. Awhile back, he almost killed himself in a motorcycle accident. Plus two sexual assault allegations. We all do stupid things when we're young, but he doesn't seem to learn any lessons from his screw-ups.

So my guess is that the Steelers will be without him for 4 games. That's 1/4 of the regular season. Looks like it might be a tough year for them.

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm with Gard, you take Suh.

The kid is an athletic talent that you will only see once in a lifetime. The kid will be a disruptor and pocket collapser on day one.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That's why I'm glad the Rams want a QB so bad.:D

I'd even offer them the rights to Joey Harrington to get Suh.

13. Pittsburgh should drop Ben and also Reed, IMO. They are both proving to be troublemakers. One of the primary reasons I am a Steelers fan is because they generally deal with criminal trash quickly. I hope that doesn't change because said trash is now their "star quarterback". I have no sympathy for criminals, especially the multi-millionaire coddled and entitled type. :scowl:

14. We have a football team?

Oh yeah...those guys.

15. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Lotsa dummies making it to "Starting QB" in the NFL nowadays. Too many extraverted "tail chaisers" ala Joe Nameth. Gimme a guy like Roger Staubach any day.

As far as Big Ben, if I were coach Tomlin I'd dress my defensive ends in Georgia "Cheerleaders" uniforms:smug: I'd bet ol' Ben would remind everybody of Barry Sanders. :D

As far as the Rams, I give a +1 to getting Suh. The QB is no longer the be all end all position that it used to be.

Look at what Singletary was able to do with the Niners and mediocre QB play.

Look at Matt Stafford in Deroit. GREAT QB but a "minimum" surrounding cast.

I wouldn't want Big Ben, he got a ring early and now has two "Big Heads". :D

Just my .05c

:D

God Bless, Ray

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gotta agree. ben's shown himself to be all but a rapist - abrasions around her genitalia? :mad::scowl: he's bad news man, and needs to get pitched. the more i think about it, the more i am convinced.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Not even. He'll be average in the NFL.

-Mike

18. I typically really respect your knowledge on this stuff...but this time you missed the target, Suh won't be "average".

He's either going to be a complete bust or a one man wrecking crew, and I'd put money on the wrecking crew.

Did you even watch him last year? :meh:

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I saw three or four games. No doubt he was a monster talent and he deserves all the attention he has received up to this point.

Transitioning your game to the next level is a skill in itself. From what I have seen and heard from Suh, I am not so sure he has it in him. I'd like to be wrong in this case, he's a good kid.

-Mike

20. It's the "good kid" part that I'm looking at, I think he has what it takes to succeed mentally....the physical tools are obviously there.

He's definitely a surer pick than Bradford will be, IMO.