1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you were to build your own combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by u84six, Nov 9, 2006.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    what would you use for the amp, preamp, cab, and let's say... a 12 inch speaker?

My question is based on the fact that lots of players aren't completely satisfied with combo configs. What would yours be?

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    guess I don't understand the question. Do you wanna know the schematics of what we would custom build by hand, or just what amp, preamp, speaker combination we would use or we currently use.

3. Yew meen laak this'n?:D

IMG_0037.jpg

4. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I don't even know why, but that is three shades of awesome.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    How did I know that I would find this pic in this thread. :D

Great combo, I would pick this over most other combos Ive played. :bassist:

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    OK, I'll go for it. My idea of a good combo would be something you can not only carry with one hand but lift into a car seat or truck bed with one hand. Next it has to be loud enough to not only just be heard but feel good playing at a rehearsal or small bar/house party/coffee shop type gig. I used to think if you play bass and you're only going to have one speaker it should be a 15 and I still think that to some extent but there are a 12's now that will do the low bass and be clearer sounding. So anyway, you want a good 12 or 15 speaker that will do well in a smaller enclosure. I would sacrifice a little low for some more loud being it's a combo, wouldn't worry about producing fundamental frequencies, just get a decent response in the 60-80hz range. You could also lose some weight by using thinner wood with better bracing. The amp would play a big part too, considering power/weight etc. the Little Mark II would make a great amp for this, would put the price a little high for a combo but maybe well worth it. Anyway, my combo would have to have the ability to add an extention cab for whenever I wanted it. In a 1-12 combo this would be a 1-12 extension and in a 1-15 it would be a 2-10 with a crossover/tweeter/L-pad with a footprint that would sit on top the combo.

7. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Each in it's own sealed enclosure - 12" woof, 5-6" mid, and silk-dome tweeter. Kick-backable to monitor position, 2U airhead so I can slide my Thunderfunk in. Finished in a blue shade of that tough automotive spray-on finish. That would be my ultimate combo...:D

Ken

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Been there done that. I gigged through a completely homemade combo for a few years. It worked quite well, but now I realize that there are some wheels not worth re-inventing.

My pet peeve about combo amps is when they take a nice amp and speaker design, including a neo driver, and put it all into some wooly MDF box that weighs a ton.

Today, I would build something like one of those MarkBass combo amps, minus the rat fur. But my DIY speaker serves me well with a "last of the dinosaurs" head while I wait for the new EA head to come out. Once an amp head fits in the gig bag pocket, then most of the arguments for combo amps go out the window.

9. It holds it's own quite well. I'm really happy with it.:hyper:
    I still haven't covered it, it's my practice amp at home...
    C7

10. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    A WT800 Eden head, with a Delta 12LF, and a Alpha8MR. Would be my ultimate combo amp. With another cab just like it for an add on for bigger gigs.

11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'd probably have a forward-firing 12" or 15" and an 8" mid-range driver pointed up (toward my ears) in a small cabinet powered by a lightweight amp with a control layout comparable to my Carvin B-1500.

In a perfect world, the mid-range driver would be housed in its own pivoting sub-enclosure so I could rotate it to face toward me, enabling me to clearly hear myself without having to play louder than neessary.

I'd cover the cabinet with the kind of "truck bed liner" used by Dr. Bass.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm very happy with my combo amp. One feature I like is that the head can be removed and used by itself. And the cab can be used with a different head.

So if I were making a combo amp, I think I would make sure it had this feature.

I also prefer "truck bed liner" coatings over carpet.

13. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Not a fan of combos .
    But a perfect combo would be the Little Mark 2 with a GS112.
    Who!

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Schroeder Mini 12+ with a smaller ThunderFunk amp on top.

Basically this thing's little brother, all glued together, and weighing under 30 lbs:

schroederfunk.jpg

minischroederfunk.jpg

Back in my day we didn't have Photoshop, we just had MS Paint and we LIKED IT THAT WAY!

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I soooo love that look.

16. It weighs less than my Avatar 2x10 Delta cab, too. I built it out of 1/2" OSB and 2x2"s, with copious amounts of liquid nails and 1" screws. Handles a low B quite admirably.:hyper:
    C7

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think I'd use a BMS 15N680 15"+1" coaxial neo 2-way in a 60 litre cab tuned to 41Hz, designed for vertical or sideways tiltback orientation, in a 19mm foamcore plywood cab, with a built-in 1000W class D + SMPS power module and a PJB Bass Buddy as the built-in preamp unit.

That would weigh in at under 35lbs and would be louder than most 4x10" cabs whilst putting out as much bottom.

I'm currently investigating building just the cab as the speaker alone is rather expensive let alone a power module and another preamp...

Alex

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'd want a head section that wasn't very wide so that I wouldn't be stuck with a side-by-side woofer arrangement, for starters.

EDIT: Thanks, Bartman ; }

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Personally, I can't think of anyone here who wants to be hit with a combo amp. :p :bag:

20. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    my ideal combo would be a trace elliot v-type head glued to the matching 8x10 et voila, the best combo in the world.

imo combo amps are good for beginners, or as practice amps, but apart from that i don't see the point.