1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you were to use a light half stack what would you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I'm comparing what to get in a half stack. I'm thinking Hartke HyDrive 410 or AK410 with an LH1000. I'm thinking Avatar B410 Neo with LH1000. I'm also thinking of the lightweight Genz Benz 410. Also contemplating going with a micro head.

I'm in NYC and will be playing out and I live in a 4th floor walk up so its a one cab situation for me. Just curious to know - WHAT WOULD YOU USE!

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Im using a GK Neo 212. 54lbs. If you ran one with a GK MB500 or MB 800 you could carry the amp in a back pack.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Genz Benz will cost you unless you get the Focus series (which I would not). I'd personally go with the all Hartke setup. Hydrive 4x10 and LH1000.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Berg AE410 is light for a 410, but I wouldn't want to carry it up and down 4 flights of stairs! My favorite 410 in any case.

Actually, I wouldn't want to carry ANY 410 up and down 4 flights of stairs!

The Hartke stuff sounds great and is good value for the $$$.

5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I'm very impressed with the sound/weight ratio of my EBS Neo 212s, at 24kg (53 lbs). My full stack is two of them, which makes for a 2 ohm load unsuited for lightweight class D amps, but if I only had one, I'd drive it with an EBS Reidmar. But I really like the EBS driver/compressor/EQ chain, and am into that extended "modern" EBS sound - substitute your favorite lightweight solid-state head. Not cheap stuff, mind you, but you didn't specify a budget. Even if you don't buy into the Swedish mystique, do consider a 212 as an alternative to any of the 410s you're talking about, if you're worried about weight.

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Agreed!!!! When I think NYC, I think Markbass NY 1x12 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/markbass-new-york-121-1x12-bass-cabinet

Or get the 1x15 if you think you need it.

Hauling even a NEO 4x10 up and down 4 flights is a death sentence. Once you accept that a 1x12 (or 1x15) can do the job for most gigs, especially with PA support, your life will change for the better. Plus, you can always add a second 1x12 down the line and it will still be easier to move.

Get the stack if and when you move to the burbs (or at least somewhere with an elevator) if you still want it then!

7. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    2 of the NYC 12 would be plenty, that is a LOUD little cab, HONKY, but loud.
    The new JB markbass combo looks interesting as well, small form factor with a 15... tempting. Little low on watts though, not sure why it isn't putting out 200 watts, which a 15 can easily take.

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    1st, if toting a 410 is r-e-a-l-l-y what you're thinking, then...

A rear-ported neo 215 (w/Eminence 3015s or Faital Pro 15PR400s), for sure. Lighter (~50-55 lbs.) than a 410. Rectangular (~34" tall x 18" wide x 15" deep) rather than square, easier to schlep.

2nd choice would be a neo 212, again, rear-ported (w/Eminence 3012HOs or Faital Pro 12PR310s). Even smaller (~ 45-50 lbs., ~28" tall x 15" wide x 14" deep) than the 215, although gives up displacement. But still, should be plenty loud, especially the HOs.

9. I also live in brooklyn and wouldnt recommend either a 4x10 or the Hartke.

I just sold my LH500 (it sounded amazing but weighed 40lbs) for the much lighter orange TB500. A GK MB Fusion would be a decent alternative, and at 4lbs, you could fit it into a gig bag.

For cabs, i'd look into a 4ohm Avatar 2x10 or 2 1x12's. 500-1000 watts out of a 4x10 is massive overkill for anything but major venues in NYC and you will likely die when it rolls you down four flights of stairs

10. For me it would be a fEARless 115 and a pf-800.

11. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I'm in the same situation - 4th floor, stairs only - and I'd do anything to avoid a 4x10. Currently using a Barefaced Compact @ 27lbs.

12. +1 to that. I would at least get two 2x10 cabs and make two trips. IMHO, that's a better setup anyway; you acn stack the cabs vertically to get better dospersion, and for smaller gigs you can leave one of them at home.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'm using a Markbass LMIII and Traveler 151P cab for that purpose, but I'd like a Barefaced Compact (115).

14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I run a Genz NeoX212t, and it can get really loud. But... with the top mounted handles it's a little awkward to carry up stairs. In your situation I'd probably go with 2 single 12" cabs.

15. Thanks for the input. I have an old hartke transporter 410 that is like 64lbs and I can manage it up the stairs etc but anything in general is a pain for a 4th floor walk up. I'll try to compare these 12" options.

16. I would go a small, light 212 (like the xsonics discussed in a few different threads), a Barefaced, fEARful 12/6, or two 112's. A 410 is just not needed and will be a PITA no matter which one you get for a 4th floor walk-up. Yikes!

17. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    How about a micro head and a couple of Ampeg SVT210AV's? You could put the head in your gig bag and carry it on your back with one cab (25# each) in each hand. Pretty easy one trip load in/out...

18. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
  19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    How about a micro head and two Barefaced Midgets? Ooo, but that would be very expensive. But, hey, a Midget weighs only 20 lbs.

20. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm in the NYC area too, and it really is all about portability. If you can't hand carry everything, then at least be able to put it all on a pretty small luggage cart. When I saw you post about living on the 4th floor of a walkup, I had nightmare flashbacks to that time I helped a friend move into a 3rd floor walkup in Chelsea. And hauling a 4x10" up 4 flights of steps? Hooboy.

I live in Jersey, and I would drive to most gigs. Still, when I had to park some distance from a venue with my gear I was VERY happy to have both a Neo 1x12" cabinet and a micro amp head.

There are plenty of options on the market for micro heads. I went with an Eden WTX-500. It's 4.5 lbs and fits in the pocket of a gig bag. There are plenty of other options on the market if that's not to your tastes.

Lightweight 1x12" cabinets are much more common than they used to be. And they're a lot easier to get around than a 4x10". Plus, in NYC you've got so many more venues that have house backlines if you need more stage volumes. Another great thing about 1x12" cabs? If you want to scale up your sound, just add another cabinet. I've got a 1x15" combo that I'm trying to sell, and I fully intend to replace it with another 1x12" to pair with my current 1x12".