1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If YOU win the Lottery, go buy this...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 25, 2015.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This 1970 Hemi ’Cuda Has 81 Original Miles—and You Can Own It

1970-Plymouth-Hemi-%E2%80%99Cuda-PLACEMENT-626x382.
    As blue-chip muscle cars go, the Hemi-powered Plymouth ’Cuda lies at the top of the heap. In fact, it’s the only muscle car we included on our list of 10 Cars to Drive Before You Die. In convertible form, it’s the only muscle car besides the Shelby GT350 listed on Hagerty’s index of postwar blue-chip collectible cars (Corvettes and Cobras aren’t muscle cars, okay?), where it stands alongside vintage royalty such as the Aston Martin DB5, the Ferrari 250GT California Spyder, the Lamborghini Miura, the Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing, and the Tucker 48. Solid company.

Car and Driver

geeza, Immigrant and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  2. What are they asking for it? A couple of hundred grand?
    Some of those things came from the factory with 2 X 4's on em. The were advertised at somewhere around 400 horse power for insurance purposes. I think I saw somewhere recently where one dyno'd out to over 800 H.P. in pretty much stock configuration. Glad I never went up against on in my GTO's.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Is there no radio? How can you buy a car without a radio??

TolerancEJ and Boom762 like this.
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    No Wifi? I'm out.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Mechanical music, man. Who needs a radio with a Hemi under the hood?

MattZilla and mrb327 like this.
  6. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It's orange though--I don't want an orange car.

7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm a nerd I admit it. But that's f'in' awesome!

Immigrant likes this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    If money was no object, It would be mine.

9. I absolutely love Challengers and Barracudas but I have no interest in a car like this. It is an antique, a museum piece. I like cars that I don't feel too guilty about driving. There's no way I would want to drive a car like this with 81 miles on the odometer. If I were to buy a current edition Mustang or Challenger with just a few miles on the odometer then I would not have a problem driving it because those do not qualify as museum pieces.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

My problem is that I would drive it. Drive the wheels off it I would. So the money would be better spent on something else. Very cool though.

Immigrant likes this.

11. LOL

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Something unrestored and near bone-stock like this will fetch over $500,000 the way current markets are pointing. There's so few of them especially untouched.

A refinished pre-CBS Fender has significant value reduced compared to a road-worn model of the same vintage. To have an original, unrestored? Well, we've seen what some folks will do to get one.

I love the old cars but today's tech is incredible in refinement that these old ones don't stand a chance. But, style goes along way.

The boomers have to consider; does the generation following them have the same $$$-enthusiasm-$$$ for these cars that they do?

96tbird and Stewie26 like this.
  13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    That's orange. Not a pumpkin orange. More like, dare I say it... Carrots!
    It's cool. Wouldn't be on my list though.

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    well, there not making anymore of them, sure you could call it a museum piece or an investment I suppose, but it was never meant to be any of those things, ..... its a classic muscle car, drive it, enjoy it.

96tbird likes this.
  15. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I purchased a 1973 Opel GT about 10 years ago that only had 106 miles on it and never had been registered before. The car was essentially brand new and appeared like it came out of a time capsule.
    With that said I never really enjoyed driving the car because of the guilt I felt putting miles on it as the car was not replaceable. I got an unsolicited offer on the car about 18 months ago from a private collector who had a museum.. The car now had 1300 miles on it. I felt very relieved when I sold it and knew it was going to a proper new home for the car. I guess my point is that the Cuda above, with only 81 miles on it is, would not be that much fun to own because when one drives a car like that you fell guilty for putting miles on it. Just sayin from experience.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Guy in my high school class had a black one. He totaled it about a month after he got it.

Also, all you Chrysler buffs, maybe someone can help me with a question. Back when I was in high school, a GI at Ft. Rucker listed a "California Cuda" for sale in the local sales paper. I went to look at it and it was a 440 with a 4 deuce intake with a 4 speed, including that ridiculously contorted, yard long Hurst shiftier with the wood pistol grip. It was lime green with black graphics, black interior, and a fresh air hood made from a black rubber like stuff, and had a matching rear window lover from the same stuff the hood was made from. It all looked factory and the guy swore it was, but it was the only one I've ever seen before or since. I've seen the black hoods and lovers, and everything else this car was sporting, but the 440 with a 4 deuce intake. Oh and it also had a very factory looking, rather massive air filter that featured a plate attaching it to the carbs, a big oval pleated paper filter and a chromed top cover.

17. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Car has a 426 hemi, dont need no stinkin radio.

Mike N likes this.
  18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Did it have a rather large flat black graphic on the back part of the side (fender area) ? maybe with three letters embossed on it ? carb intake apparatus sounds like a "shaker" style.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    You have an aluminum headed 427 in your avatar..... don't need no stinkin radio, either. :D

mrb327 likes this.
  20. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    You sir, are correct!