If your band ain't getting live gigs...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Dec 20, 2001.

1. OK, let's see...I joined this band in July 2001. I was the final piece and now the band could get workin' hard on getting live gigs and getting known, right?

Well...no! :mad:

Immedaitely after entering the band the drummer gets temp work in Marbella, east of Granada, Spain. Initially it was goin' to be two months...but then he needed to stay a month... and another... and another...

Few attempts have been made to find a temporary replacement...BUT BECAUSE OF THIS WE HAVE YET TO PLAY LIVE AT A CLUB OR SOMETHING!

The lackadaisical attitude of the other two guitarists does not help either.

DO I?...

1) Force the band into getting a new drummer or pressuring the drummer in Marbella to come back or be kicked out...or threaten to leave the band?

2) Form a side project with me on bass/vocals and other people on guitars and drums?

3) Just quit the band and look elsewhere or get into serious bass lessons to take my playing level to "monster on bass" status?

The band I feel is going nowhere at this pace, and I feel sorry for this guitarist/vocalist who has all the confidence in me getting the job done and who showed me the dynamics of playing in a band.

Help!!!! I can't wait for playing live...I'm capable...what should I do???
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Before you quit, give them the chance. Tell them what you told us. You want to play out... you are tired of waiting. You want the drummer back, or replaced. If they say no, then you can quit and find other players who are more serious.

I had the same problem that you do. My guitarist was not nearly as serious as I was. My solution... I joined a different band.

Good luck!!
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I was in a similar situation earlier this year. These two guitar players wanted to start a band, so I told them I would join. They kept saying they know a drummer or they would find one or some other BS excuse for not having a drummer. Then I got an offer from another band who had their stuff together to play for them, so I ended up joining that band and quitting the first one.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd put out an ad or something and invite some drummers to audition ... for a PERMANENT position. If the guitar players don't like it, they can buzz off.
  5. IMO a successful band is made up of members who "live the dream" and are passionate about the music (almost) above all else.

I've had similar experiences in the past where potentially good music partners fluff around so much you realise that their heart isn't in it quite as much as yourself.

Give the drummer a chance, then an ultimatum (assuming the rest of the band is in agreement). If the rest of you feel that the band is gonna work, make it work with another drummer if need be.