If your dream-fantasy pedal comes true, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sindhu Partomo, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's the reverse of a side-chain compressor, known as an expander. You put a split first, then use your dry signal in the side chain and your dirt before the Expander. The old half-rack Boss RCL-10 had the facility. Unfortunately it was noisy and a tone sucker...

2. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    this - with a second boost/distortion that maintains low-end

3. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    The Ampeg SCR-DI, 1000%. Might be my favorite piece of gear that I've ever bought. Zero point zero complaints. Exactly what I wanted it to be.

ficelles and JimmyM like this.
  4. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    That looks incredible. Expensive (especially taking into account shipping/import duty, the UK sucks for this), but awesome. Maybe I'll have to get saving.
    I've thought a lot about having something similar, I love using chorus and fuzz together, having a specifically designed pedal making it easier to blend them would be amazing.
    Fairly simple mods to a Big Muff should get you more or less there. It's called the Creamy Dreamer mod, so long as you don't mind a little soldering you shouldn't find it too tricky.

5. Sindhu Partomo

Sindhu Partomo

Mar 10, 2015
    Indonesia
    I'm really enjoying reading these thoughts. The one knob fresh strings-old strings simulator idea would be heaven.

6. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Even if our dream fantasy pedals come out, it still will not be enough for our GAS! EVER!

DistroHopper and Roberto Nunez like this.
  7. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    My favorite fuzz tone is the sound of my Fuzzrocious Demon driving my Swollen Pickle. I'd love to have that sound in one pedal.

I'm sure I can get a custom builder to do it, but I have other priorities at the moment.

8. Embra

Embra Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Fun thread. I often think about my ideal pedal and I've flipped so many in the last few years chasing the eternal holy grail... Anyway, I have a fantasy preamp pedal:

I’ve tried and liked the MXR M80, Basswitch IQ DI, Tonehammer and Broadcast preamps all of which have their own strengths but I want a clean, great tone-shaping preamp with all the following goodies.

I don’t want a compressor in it, we already have some fantastic comps out there (I use the Cali CB and the only way this could be improved would be to have the LEDS and transformer of the TX version but in the small chassis). But I really want a pedal with great EQ, presets with midi control, DI and a boost (bare minimum, but the other features below would be very useful too).

I’d love to see Empress design one as their para-Eq is fantastic and they seem to cram a lot in their midi-enabled pedals; so I’ve used their pedal format to mock one up using omnigraffle (using the larger Reverb/Superdelay chassis). It would also very cool if Strymon (big display!), sfx or RMI/Lehle (my favourite clean DI) had a go :)

My wish list:
    1. Midi PC and CC capabilities using Empress’s universal port control (works great with Disaster Areas controllers which don’t need the empress midi-box). The universal port control would also work as an expression input (configure to boost, vintage or loop mix), external audio in, or a ‘B’ input for a 2nd bass (in which case the boost/loop footswitch acts as an A/B).
    2. Presets: 6 selectable on the pedal (using save button), minimum 30 using midi. This would be my killer feature: I can set eq, boost levels etc for umpteen presets (e.g., for different styles, basses, pedal combos, venues etc).
    3. Tuner out and mute
    4. Switchable loop for adding other pedals
    5. Input with switchable impedance.
    6. LED metering for input & output (not really necessary but pretty lights!)
    7. Mode selector with the following:
      1. Semi-parametric EQ - bass, low mid, high mid and treble, each with q, freq and gain control knobs.
      2. Noise filter - off to on with variable control of level.
      3. Vintage - adds light warmth, variable level (not a deal breaker but could be useful if you just want to use this on a nano with a tuner and comp).
      4. Loop: controls for pre/post eq, level (mix has its own knob), crossover frequency, phase
      5. Pad - 0, -6, -12 db
      6. DI - settings for pre/post eq and loop, ground lift and level.
      7. Boost - level.
      8. HPF with frequency control
      9. LPF with frequency control
    A 9v input which is internally rectified, filtered, stabilised and then brought to 18V (like a Basswitch) for lots of headroom. Absolute max draw 300mA

I’m not asking much….
    Preamp_zps0duqknio.gif

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Drawmer used to make a rackmount processor called the Three-Sum which allowed what you describe:
    Three-Sum Multi-Band Interface

10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    My dream-fantasy pedal would be a looping delay with all the comprehensive stacking/nesting/subdividing/layering capabilities of a full-featured model like the Looperlative LP-1 or the Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro running Loop IV firmware...but also with the "look-ahead" always-recording feature that the original (circa 1980) Electro-Harmonix 16-Second Digital Delay had, and the ability to move loop start/endpoints after the fact, either by tap increments, or by sensing transients (the way Propellerhead's ReCycle drum looping software finds beat slices).

11. Sindhu Partomo

Sindhu Partomo

Mar 10, 2015
    Indonesia
    A simple digital delay with few knobs and BPM analyzer will be nice.

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Looper pedal with built effects loops.

Five looper loops (think a five 'track' Boomerang), five individual effects loops so that one can use any combination of effects with any of loops and one for the overall mix.

So, a five track Boomerang combined with an ES-8, essentially, with MIDI so one can run a Beat Buddy into it.

That would be awesome.

Chicory Blue and Alien8 like this.
  13. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Honestly, this right here would be a great start:

Convertor

Anxiously awaiting bass demo.

Marial likes this.
  14. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    No doubt!

15. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

God yes.

--^@

16. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Ideally it would generate its own clock so everything is synched. Otherwise, no computers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  17. Chicory Blue

With headphone out and option to record from AUX-in?

--^@

18. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Sure, why not?

19. Chicory Blue

Because many a near-perfect unit has been tainted for want of these features.

*solemn nod*

--^@

Marial likes this.
  20. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Right now, a fly rig that included all Source Audio algorithms in any order using 5 different slots with an additional limiter/boost

GentProvocateur likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021