1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you're waiting out COVID-19 before gigging out again (as I am),

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rockdoc11, Oct 22, 2020.

1. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    When do you expect to be able to go out and play again without worrying about the virus?

As someone over 60, I'm thinking I need either an effective vaccination, the infection numbers to go way down, or (preferably) both.

I have in my head that this may happen by March 2021. But there's a part of me that's saying that's way too optimistic.

What internal calendars for resuming gigging at indoor venues are you folks generating for yourselves?

Garret Graves, Charlzm and Cave Puppy like this.
  2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    One of my bands has been on hold since February due to internal decisions from a couple members and the other hasn’t skipped a beat and been gigging every other weekend.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Waiting to see what 2021 brings. I'm out for the rest of this year.

4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I'm waiting for when the County health director puts us into the tier allowing for bars to open, at least. As of right now, in Los Angeles we are still in the first tier, or "purple" which is the lowest tier. Once we get to the next tier, I will consider rehearsals, but right now we are at "three households". As of today, "Bars" are still "closed" in LA. (yeah right...) Los Angeles locked down quickly and we never saw a huge surge, but at the same time, we've been stuck in the lowest tier all year with little reason to hope we will get out any time soon. I know many bands are jamming and gigging right now, but I feel that I must be disciplined enough to resist my boredom for the sake of my community. Luckily I'm employed full time and don't rely on the gig money. Keeping social distance is hard enough when I'm trying to make a living, I don't want to worry about all the drunks at the bar right now. I can appreciate the whole "outside" thing being marginally safer, but it seems that most people equate "outside" as "perfectly safe".

5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

There's no way to predict when it will happen, useless to even think about. The time will come, just wait it out. My seniors ukulele group has been meeting on Zoom since March and making the best of it only being able to hear one person but playing along, and a few of us have actually been playing together in the back yard of one member every couple of weeks, keeping extra social distance with masks, which has been a very nice alternative.

6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Most experts are saying that a full role out of a vaccine isn't expected until around June of next year. I expect it will take a few months for it to get enough people and a few more to evaluate if it really works. So my optimistic answer is maybe early 2022

7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa Guest

Sep 24, 2015
    As I said in the last thread about this, we're out until 2022. I'm the youngest guy in the band by a good margin, the other guys are in their late 60s. They don't want to do it. Give the propensity of this virus to cripple people who survive it, I don't want to do it either, so we're all good there.

pcake, fishdreams, Pet Sounds and 2 others like this.
  8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I'm done for this year, but now have a couple of 2021 gigs pencilled in on my calendar. It would be great if they all came to fruition. However, I'm beginning to think that @RSBBass has it about right. I don't consider myself to be in a "high risk" category, but it isn't about me. I'm a hired gun and have accepted the bookings conditionally, and will provide my clients with plenty of advance notice if I decide to back out.

pcake and RSBBass like this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    The radio station I work for is having its annual fund raiser in November, 4 bands at a local venue, live streams for all. I will probably be there broadcasting at some point. I have been told there will be probably be no audience, just bands, and only one band member allowed into the green room/broadcast space for interviews. Masks are mandatory unless onstage or on mic.
    I will be masked, and may bring my own mic. ;)

It should be... interesting. Lots of unfamiliar in there.

nbsipics likes this.
  10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    100% 'not worry about the virus'? technically, never
    99.9996% 'not worry about the virus'? Summer 2022

StyleOverShow and AceOfBassFace like this.
  11. Seashore

Seashore

Jun 2, 2019
    Lowell, MA
    I'm just over 40 and this is what I'm waiting for too. I'm thankful the other band guys are all on board with working remotely on new recordings for the time being. There's plenty to do even without any shows on the horizon, and I like the freedom of not having to constantly stay sharp on the set list.

DirtDog likes this.
  12. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If half of America still refuses to wear a mask to slow the spread, there will be no slowing the spread. Until the infection rates show strong signs of subsiding, I’ll be practicing and writing, but no way am I going to gather in a room with anyone I don’t know.

My mom lives in a navy town and the word on the street is that the military is planning around this mess continuing for the next FIVE years.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i really, really want to play. but i don't want to hurt others or be hurt myself or be a part of something stupid, so i'll wait for some sort of "all clear" or some objective evidence that things are safe. i did a few outdoor FOH gigs in the summer. it might be next summer before that can happen again. who knows? i don't have an "internal calendar" for returning to indoor gigs --- just hope that it's sooner than the direst predictions.

14. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    I would love to get back to gigging but it's just too risky. The guidance we have been given is sketchy at best so not worth the risk for me at this point. Plus one of my bandmates is in his 70s (and still rocks like a mofo) which places him in a high risk category. Also not worth the risk. Seeing all these folks gigging makes me jealous and incredulous simultaneously.

rockdoc11, slagheap, Guitalia and 3 others like this.
  15. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    Same here...we've been going strong basically all summer picking up private party gigs and what not...that being said tho almost all gigs were outside.....winter will be a different story

16. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    The guidance from my day job (big tech/media and entertainment) is work from home through June 2021 (at least). We're in it for the long haul. I think Fall 2021 is optimistic for there being any semblance of normalcy for nightlife.

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Spring 2022 seems like a fairly realistic target, as of now. That could change though.
    No big deal...I took 15 years off from gigging before I dove back into it full time, where I've spent the past 15 years. So some much needed downtime is welcomed. By the time we're back out there I'll be well rested both physically and mentally and ready to go.

pcake, Seanto and mikewalker like this.
  18. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Oh, the irony....

dalkowski, smeet, arbiterusa and 9 others like this.
  19. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    LOL ok

20. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’m struggling to keep my family safe and sane with a second grader and third grader who are starting to show signs of depression because their school is shut down, but the guys who just want to hang out and gig are going to blame the teachers for everything.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020