Igniting the flame

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by NOLA Man, Sep 6, 2001.

1. NOLA Man

NOLA Man

Sep 6, 2001

I need some torch lighting under my rear.

Here is the story.

When I was in grade school, 6th grade actually in 1980, a dude came to our school and was introduced as the Dean of Music at Loyola University in New Orleans, where I am from.

He issued pitch tests to us. We were to write down which pitch was higher or lower, louder or softer, etc. This went on for like 2 hrs. I did what I could, hell it was a break from class, and thought nothing of it. About 2 weeks later my folks received a letter from Loyola U. stating that I tested super high, and may have near perfect pitch. Basically what it came down to was that The Dean of Music was trying to get a Youth String Project together with area New Orleans schools comprising the kids. The kids that tested high were to come to the College of music, and we were asked to pick an instument that we would like to play. What I did not realize was that my 'rents also had to enroll me and pay like $3,000 a year, which we did not have. But I picked the double bass and was on my way. Rehersals 4x a week, 4 seasonal concerts, forced to play by 'rents, turning 16, 17 and 18 yrs old wanting to party and ****.

The problem: After 8 yrs of that, and a scholarship to Loyola for music, and half a dozen bands in the 80's and 90's, I burned out and have not touched a bass in years. I left N.O. and any music scenes to speak of. Sold my Austrian Double bass 5 years ago, to my old buddy who is now a N.O. Klezmer All Star. (My old bass in on tour!!) Sold my Squire a decade ago.

I want to play so bad, but I really think that being forced to do orchestra and symphony stuff ruined me. But I have a knack for playing bass. I can just flat out play, and I love music, but when I get together with other folks to play or jam, I get this ****ed up feeling. Kind of meloncholy, sort of bummed.
    I dunno, most other areas of my life are stable and non chaotic, but I'm not sure what has happened to my desire to play. Does this sound like burnout to you. Can it be burnout even if I have not played for years?

Thought you may have experienced this. I really want to play again. I miss the calluses.

Can't wait to see ya'll in Oct @ the Nick.