Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ignorance is Biss- confessions of a tb GASaholic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I apologize. I apologize for spilling this on an otherwise great board. I apologize in advance for providing abosultely nothing informative in here.

TB is a terrific resource and a fun place to read/comment. There are some great personalities on here too, and i can safely say there arent many buttheads at all. I thank all of you for that.

but, this place has also turned me into a monster, and many of you share some of the blame.

hello, my name is Greg and i have GAS.
    I have been playing and gigging on and off since the mid 80's. Nothing approaching professional. Its purely a hobby. I am an average classic rock cover band basssist. not a bit more, nor less.

through this time i have always been a very economical fellow. The only gear i ever bought was either on deep discount, on a trade in from existing gear, or from money i made specifically from a gig. My hobbie supported itself, and that was that.

Sure i have owned some gear, but, being of a minimalist mentality by nature, I never went nuts. I have had 5 basses in 21 years of thumping. For the first 2 of those years i borrowed a bass. They are a story in and of themselves, but suffice to say i paid FAR below the street price on each of them. No, they werent "hot".

but this isnt about basses. No, this step of my program is about Amps. I used the same rugged peavey (or 2) for years. Before that i borrowed one for quite some time. Then i was given, yes GIVEN a fender bassman head. I had it retubed, didnt like it one bit, and traded it in. I got a very nice alvarez acoustic in return, along with a used kramer bass (aluminum neck). yes, they got the better end of the deal, but all in all i was ok with it.

Around this time i had been gigging farily regulary and saved up enough to buy "the last amp i woudl ever need", and splurge on a brand new one no less. I wanted something serrious, ballsy, with plenty of tone shaping, since hey, who doesnt need to tweek to get thier tone!? I asked around, and the general consensus was that Hartke or GK was where its at. who could need more than 500 watts into 4 ohms? built in crossover! hybrid blendable pre section. graphic EQ. rackable. everyone good uses racks, no?! Done. off to Rondo's for the hartke 5000. paid for in cash.

I got by just fine right through the rest of the 90's with it. Internet bubble money and all, i never ran out and bought a new rig. Sure i certainly had to search for the tone i was looking for, playing with the EQ and turning and tweeking, but didnt everyone? Couldnt someone have told me "no".

What kept me from gasssing out as many musicians do is that i never shopped or kept current on the new gear out there. and i certainly didnt read/try out anything very expensive. I played my bass more than i thought about gear, and i shopped the stores even less. I generally dont hang out with other bassists for the most part. I guess that ?helped?

So, ignorance was bliss.

sort of.

(more to come)

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I agree.
    I'm happy with what I have and I feel that the best way to keep it that way is just to refrain from trying other gear.