ignorant question about my mij fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eddie f, May 26, 2005.

1. eddie f

eddie f

May 25, 2005
    so i just got a fender 93 mij bass lyte. p bass deluxe. it weighs about six pounds, which is great bc im a bass player who has way too much presence on stage so its easier on me. what kind of wood is in this bass to make it so light? or is it hollow? anyone know anything about these babys? also for the record this is the best bass forum on the net. you guys are great at helping eachother out. peace
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cool score. But "MIJ" is not a politically correct term, and Talkbass tries to be offensive to all members. Including those of the Japanese persuasion.

Welcome to TB,
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Are you sure you really mean what you just wrote? :D

Let's not get started on the thread title... :D :bag:
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, OK then...........

abark000, you are an ignorant slut.

eddie f, you are a typical ignorant ****ing yank.

phxlbrmpf, you are a nitpicking know-it-all.

Anyone else who has not yet been offended today, PM me and I'll do my talkbass duty. :D
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    OK, seriously now......

It's probably just a particularly light piece of alder. The "Lyte" part of the name refers more to it having a slightly smaller body than a standard P Bass than it being made out of any special lightweight material.
  6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, my uncle has a very ligth Japanese J-Bass from the early 90's, and it's actually made out of balsa wood :spit: .

My guitar, a Peavey, was advertised to have a Alder body, but when i stripped some paint out of the control cavity, it turned out to be made out of PARTICLE BOARD! :rolleyes:

So, be aware! :ninja:

7. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I just messed around with one of these over lunch. If hadn't been HOT PINK :eyebrow: I would have been pretty tempted.
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My guess would be that the body wood is Basswood, which is what most of those older MIJ's are made of. The new lower end models still use Basswood, while the higher end models are usually made of Alder or Ash and also have USA pickups.
  9. Don't know where you got this info but it's as wrong as you can be. "Older" MIJ's? Would you be talking about the early MIJ Squier series that rivals the American mades in a lot of folks eyes? - those were alder or poplar. Would you be talking about the CIJ (Crafted in Japan) for the Japanese Market? Those were and are made from exactly the same materials as the American versions (and a couple of other asian woods IIRC) like ash and alder and ARE the equal of the Americans. OR are you talking about any number of MIJITSO 1962 Reissue Jazzes and Precisions (Made in Japan In The Style Of) that were manufactured between the mid 80's and mid 90's? I own (1) of these and (1) of the CIJ versions of this bass and both are alder to the bone. So you might want to explain yourself a little better when you say "most of the older Japanese Fenders were basswood"
  10. eddie f

eddie f

May 25, 2005
    kewl. sorry if i offended anyone from japan in my thread name...american ignorance at its greatest. and technically i wouldnt be stereotyped as a yank, im from the south so i would be stereotyped as an imbred redneck. :(
  11. Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    I saw a couple of those pbass lyte that has a p and HB, active circuitry, low mid high controls, I think those bodies are made of mahogany. Iam not really sure. Some one I know said they're made of it... It looks like but im no wood expert! hehehe! Eniwaiz, I own a 96 jazz MIJ 62 reissue and it is very heavy! I think its not loaded with basswood. But still the same... it sounds so sweet! Im very much in love with it! :hyper:
  12. I believe that the P Bass Lyte was made of basswood and the P Bass Lyte Deluxe was made of mahogany. Part of the light weight comes from a significantly smaller body. They were not chambered. If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll check an old copy of the Fender Frontline catalog.
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Sorry, I guess I was misinformed.

Yes, I was referring to the CIJ's that Ishibashi sells.
    I do stand by my statement that those new low end models are basswood and the new high end models are usually Alder or Ash. I checked this very carefully before I bought mine from Ishibashi.
  14. eddie f

eddie f

May 25, 2005
    other quick questions. im guessing since everyone is talkin pretty good about it that this is a good bass. I love the way it plays and so do my friends so im thinking about throwing in some bartolini cb pickups and sims custom LED lights in the neck ( www.simscustom.com ) and making it my main bass. Would this be a bass worth this much work? its been around 13 years and the only problem i see is a top pickup going out. i play more harder rock like alice in chains and soundgarden. i also like to play flea and vic wooten and attempt some jaco when im doing personal practice. gimme thoughts, or other ideas to do to it