1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ignore the other guys, help ME in my amp search.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skoti89, Apr 11, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Ive been looking for a new since I bought my crappy crate combo when i first was jamming and playying shows.

i have a very small buget under 600, and cabs are probably gunna be bought used, I need an amp under 300 dollars with around 300 watts at 4 ohms.

Ive been checking out GK backline 600( or used RB series). ashdown MAG 300, ampeg B series used.

Im looking for a good indie, punk rock tone. If you listen to punk and you know what a jazz bass or p bass sounds like( something with growl, and brings out the brightness of the strings), thats the kind of tone i want. SWR ampeg, GK. lots of low end with a nice bright tone. Tell me what you think

KUH!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Ashdown MAG300 is a great amp, I have used one for a year and a half. The GK backline is good too but the Ashdown is better, trust me.

3. Used Peavey Mk series bass heads are pretty cheap, sound pretty good, and are built like brick poo-houses.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd go with an Ashdown MAG. These seem to be the best of the ultra budget amps IMHO.

5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Peavey TVT series aren't that bad.

Or ashdown or trace elliot.

Get the amp used and get more "buck" out of it for your buck spent.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Look for a used GK RB. Tons of punk and indie guys use them - and they are just plain great amps for any style.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd go for the Mag.

8. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Ive tried SWR and ampeg, liked them both, but too exspensive, even used. I think i do like peavey. I have a peavey microbass practice amp. it has a great tone, and if larger peavey amps sound like that, then that the kind of tone i like.

lots of different opinions between GK and the ashdown mag...

9. Ashdown Mag with an Avatar 4x10 Delta will hit just at 600 bucks. That is definately the way I'd go with the choices above if I wasn't looking for used stuff.

10. I agree with the Ashdown Mag 300. Great sounding amp, and a great value.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My rig cost me $529 total. Ashdown Mag 300, and Ampeg 810e cab. I hadn't planned on using the ashdown long as it was bought as just a temporary amp....but it does 100% of what I need it to do, and honestly don't have enough desire to spend the money to get something else. It sounds good, and gets the job done well.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Howd you get the ampeg that cheap?

13. +1
    not to hijack this thread but damn.

and yea i would go with the ashdown and the ampeg, i've head great stuff about GK but i've never played outta one. I love ampegs stuff and stand by alot of it (even though i do not currently own any of it), and its great from punk and any kind of rock.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Todd4ta got me that cab at a GC blowout for $329, with really ragged tolex but 100% mechanical condition. It's the one I recovered in cowprint.

I got the mag for $200 shipped, also used.

15. I'd go with the Mag300.

...hold on - I did. I own one, and it's great ;)

16. Don't judge the Peavey sound by the microbass. IMO the microbass sounds much better than just about any large Peavey I have ever heard. In some ways it may be the best sounding bass amp Peavey has made - a great value used practice amp.

That does not mean that a larger Peavey is a bad choice. Some of them are darn good - just try the model you are thinking of buying before you plunk down your cash.

Peace,
    S

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    + 1

the MAG series is an awesome value. and they're crazy cheap on ebay.