1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ikea thumbrest

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basadam, Jan 13, 2019.

1. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I decided to put a thumbrest on my Sterling and ended using the small piece of wood that comes with almost all Ikea packages. I filed the wood piece slightly to have flat surface and simply glued on the pickguard.
    ikea1. ikea2.

jag-atk, retslock, MattZilla and 15 others like this.
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    It’s a dowel. I hope your furniture doesn’t collapse because one is glued to your bass...
    :bag:

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Was just going to say the same thing! Somewhere in his house a shelving unit is about to topple.

Sorry, but I think it looks pretty bad. You could easily find a black piece of plastic, lucite or whatever and file it to your desired shape and it would look a lot better.

Looks like your bass has a booger or some sort of multi-vitamin stuck to it.

4. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Ehh, it's okay, if not different.

PM me yer address, I'll send you a black plastic thumb rest. A music store closed and I bought a box of strings from them. Down in the bottom of the box was a half-dozen of those thumb rests.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I’ve smashed so many of those delicate dowels in my lifetime of assembling IKEA furniture— :beaver:

6. In the Ikea catalogue it's called the fluugergerbil thumb rest.

7. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    This gives me an idea. LEGO thumbrest.

gungrog, Fathand, MattZilla and 21 others like this.
  8. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Relax. It's a leftover. All my Ikea assemblies stand strong to this date. :thumbsup: :cool: :hyper:

Thank you sir. I couldn't remember the word. None-native English poster here.

You sir, made my day!

Thanks for the offer. I have a few of those but they stand too tall against the strings. I was contemplating filing one down then I came across the dowel. I was going for a P-bass feel and ergonomically I achieved that. For now, it's a fun experiment. Perhaps I'll paint it some day. :eyebrow:

9. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Pretty great example of upcycling IMO

noodler, BaileyMan and basadam like this.
  10. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    To each his own. I would have suggested the Zero-Mod thumb-rest for Stingrays (Zero-Mod MODELS), which you fasten using one of the existing pickguard screws.

f376a986ab4a22a92b6006376cdba197?AccessKeyId=6A2D9B90AFE3B574C1B2&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.

735f58d2406e910513c946e69f9fe0b6?AccessKeyId=6A2D9B90AFE3B574C1B2&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.

Hambone70, FunkyEel, Mpike and 13 others like this.
  11. Sean89sl

Sean89sl

Dec 19, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I use cloths peg and tape it on the guard. Absolute love it!

Attached Files:

12. What I do is cut pieces from 1/8" thick sheets of maple, walnut and cherry and epoxy them together in various combinations (trying to match the aesthetics of various basses) until I have a stack that's thumbrest height. A drill press is used for mounting holes.
    I belt sand it to a pleasing shape and contour it to fit thumbs perfectly, then hand sand and polish for a super smooth feel.
    Lemon oil or TruOil for finish.

Then I sell them to my friends for money to buy picks.

13. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    I make picks out of old credit cards and sell them to buy thumbrests :thumbsup:<-thumb

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I usually do such "ghetto" things for thumbrests/ramps. I'd too make a gadget that attaches using the existing pickguard screw holes. Lately I'm more into traceless 3M EVA tape on solid bodies. But I've put some 4" of a bamboo chopstick epoxy'ed directly on the top of a Harley Benton uke bass. Couldn't notice a thing changing about the tone (not that these toys have any remotely serious volume unless plugged in), cost me cents to do and I think a chopstick, (one face flattened over sandpaper) is both more ergonomic and more aesthetic than that dowel.

15. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I agree that this is the absolute professional solution, but at $35 US (add shipment, customs tax) it's expensive compared to my poor man's rest, though I'd probably buy it if I were in US.

BTW, google "thumb rest 3d print" and there is a free to download 3d-print file for a 5-string Sterling thumb rest.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    OP, you definitely deserve credit for doing something different. :thumbsup:

17. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Why would you do that...?! o_O

murphy likes this.
  18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I wouldn't go for glued thumbrest, I'm sure I'd force it off eventually. Sure, it's ugly, but Sterlings aren't exactly good looking to me either, so.. yeah.

murphy likes this.
  19. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    And once again I say "to each his own". I (with emphasis on the "I") ain't gluing some makeshift "ghetto" solution (as andruca called them) to my fancy 2.5K bass. I'd be happy to buy a pleasant-looking solution for 1.5% of my axe's value.

gebass6, Ghastly and andykeating like this.