Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Il mio Contrabbasso ( My DB )

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sciascia S., Oct 20, 2005.

1. Hi !

I have uploaded on my web-site 4 new photos of my bass .

www.stefanosciascia.it

on the left you click on "il mio Contrabbasso ".

Hope you like .

to save these photos try with Mozilla Firefox .

Paul hope you like it !

Ciao Stefano Sciascia

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Beautiful bass and welcome to TB. I have seen you and your website b4 while Bass surfing. Please, tell us some things about your Bass. I too have a nice old Bass or two, or three..

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just out of curiosity, are you any relation to Leonardo Sciascia, the writer and journalist? One of my favorite authors.

Louis

PS: Nice bass, too!!

4. Welcome Staphano,

I am constructing a bass similar to your cornerless bass. What woods is it made of? How old? Can you tell us a little about it? I read about you in Double Bass Magazine, nice article!

On a practical note, do you find it hard to carry around? :meh:

5. Good Morning .

11 am Italy .

Hello again .

I am not a relative of Leonardo Sciascia ,the writer ,but I red some of his books and I like his style .

My bass : I write here what I know , Italian of the eighteen Century the top , may be Ruggeri .

And all the instrument was made 100 years later to " save" the top .

the top and the bottom are maiden with pine , very strange .

The sound is the best thing and it is not hard to carry around .

It is easy to play 104,5 cm .

It has a particular shape and I showed it here on TB the past year but with 3 photos taken with my cell .

Now these are good and I liked to share with TB DBassists and Bassists too .

And naturally I'd like to listen your opinion and ideas about it .

It's not for sale because it's the only bass I have !

Ciao

Stefano

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Very nice, love those curves.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Hello again. Pine backs are not so strange. I have an American Batchelder from 1875 with a pine back but double thickness as the ribs are bent around a back joint a la Prescott as Batchelder was a cousin. I also have seen on the Web an English Bass from 1945 with a Pine back as well.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    ...but if I read his post correctly, the top is of pine as well. How common is that?

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Pine, Spruce.. similar if not the same. Exact botanical species is the only way to compare but Pine is is commonly mentioned on Italian Basses. Maybe it's a Spruce but either way, they are all conifers.

10. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Spero che mi ricorda. Abbiamo parlato un po quest'estate in Michigan. Ero il ragazzo americano chi stato provando parlalre in Italiano con Lei. A quello tempo avevi motle dolore in tu piede. Alora, spero che tu piede sta bene adesso.

Hai uno contrabbasso bellisima.
    -Michele

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks, that's why I stay away from working with wood! I know precious little about it! :)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

13. Show off!

14. Stefano, I love your bass very much...and, it sounds as good as it looks.
    As we talked about the last time you joined us, as a joke, I have in my bathroom ( WC ) pictures of many great basses. Yours of course, is in there...don't worry, this is a compliment!!

15. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    It's easy, you just go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr and it translates for you. I don't need it, though:

Le abilità della miniera della lingua italiana sono grandi. Infatti, i pesci che hanno guidato la mia stanza da bagno al telivision hanno detto che la troppa banana rossa era mólto per volare!

16. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Ho visto i pesci cosi. Nuotano vicino a Revena. Ma, purtroppo non suonano il contrabasso.

I learned this summer that another name for "il contrabbasso" in Bolognese dialect is called " mezza vaca" or "half a cow". When the butcher shops hang the leg and hip of a cow in the window the shape of that section looks like the shape of a double bass. I think they can some times sound like a "mezza vaca".

17. Ciao Michele , mi ricordo di te ora sto bene grazie !
    Hi Michael I remember you ,now I am fine thank you !

stefanosciascia@aruba.it if you like to write in italian .

Hi Paul I think that these photos are much better , I understand about the bath.. :D

Thank you for the notices of basses maiden with the same wood .

Stefano

18. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Its a lovely shape - do you have any photos of the ribs (side on) or the front of the scroll? Is that a volute graft or cheek repair, or neither?

I never would have thought wingnuts on the tuning machines could look so stylish.

19. Hi ,

Just done with my camera , 3 a.m. here , hope the images are enough good .

It is a repair to save the original scroll .

Stefano .

Attached Files:

20. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Thanks for the quick response

I had a look at the Live pics on your website, it's an extraordinary bass to look at. Are the ribs one piece each side or is there a join somewhere? Does a cornerless bass like that have some internal bracing or is it just neck block, endpin block and linings holding it all together? I had a look at a photo of a cornerless bass made by Inokuchi for Joel Quarrington and from what I could see he had used some block-like bracing across the ribs at various points. Interested to know how yours is held together!