I'll be lucky to get an answer to this..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ciaran, May 5, 2001.

1. Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Does anybody know what effect Bakithi Kumalo uses on "Boy in the bubble" from Graceland by Paul simon?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I honestly didn't know that he did. I thought that tone was from his fretless and his amp.
  3. Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    maybe it is just his EQ.
    I just thought that there was a tremelo or something being used
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's just his fretless bass and hand vibrato.
  5. mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I don't think this question was ever resolved. It sounds to me like Bakithi Kumalo's bass signal was split into a clean path and an effects / overdrive path. You can hear the clean signal quite clearly on the studio album. While I agree that a lot of the sound on this track comes from his touch on the fretboard, I think there's more going on than just that. Any thoughts?
  6. I'm not very familiar with the song, but is it possible that there are just two different bass tracks?
  7. gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Man, you sure went into the vaults for this one!

Honestly, I don't think there's an effect on it. I think it's just his fretless and some wicked vibrato.
  8. If there is anything, I'd guess it was put on in post production. He really wasn't particularly gear orientated at that point in time, recording all his parts on the album on a beat up old washburn, or so I heard. Having heard the album a million and one times though, I think it's all technique...
  9. On the Graceland classic album's DVD I think there is a bit where the bass is solo'd when they are playing back the master.
    Either that or he plays it live for the camera, I haven't seen it in a while so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
    Anyway if you haven't seen it search it out it's worth a watch and I'm almost certain it's just him, his old fretless and an amp