Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'll bet nobody gets this one...:)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HoursBeforeDawn, Jun 15, 2005.

1. HoursBeforeDawn

HoursBeforeDawn

Jun 15, 2005
    But I hope I'm wrong. OK here goes...a long time ago, maybe '92, I was at a bass demonstration/live radio broadcast with Brian Bromberg. He was doing some killer tapping, but what was really cool was he had some kind of effects processor which made a clicking sound on the attack of each note. I seem to remember it was possibly a certain compressor/limiter/gate with some kind of proprietary circuit for this effect, but that was a long time ago, I was a real beginner then and I've killed a LOT of brain cells since then (but only the weak ones, yuck yuck). My question, of course, is, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?! :bag: :eyebrow: I mean, what was it? Also, has anyone used more exotic effects such as a vocoder, ring mod, notch filter, whatever? I guess I'm asking what are some ideas for more exotic effects, besides the usual suspects, esp. rackmounted...Thanx! :bassist:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There was no effect. Just the attack of a graphite neck (which he played at that time). I saw him @ Musikmesse Frankfurt at that time - no effects IIRC.

3. HoursBeforeDawn

HoursBeforeDawn

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm almost certain that he talked about a certain kind of signal processor, I'm 99% sure it was a kind of compressor/limiter/gate. Besides that I also remember seeing, around the same time, a compressor being advertised here in the States in a catalog, I forget which one (sigh, those poor brain cells..+ I have so few to spare), but the major distinction in the description was it's ability to generate a percussive attack with note input. Now, I won't tell you that you are wrong, because I may be completely wrong. I do remember the graphite, now that you mention it. But I was so blown away by that 'click' which accented the tapping, that i began a search for this compressor, if that's what it was. Also, yesterday when I was searching Google it brought up 2 different CD reviews mentioning guitarists who mysteriously had this same effect.

Ah well. :meh: Well, if this thing doesn't exist, it should, in my humble 'O'. I may end up going to check into basses with graphite fingerboards. BTW, I can get pretty hard clicks on my Fender Jazz, but in techniques where your'e doing intricate and fast two handed passages, it's pretty hard to maintain that force without sacrificing accuracy.

4. well, i think that JMX is right on this one. What you are descibing to me sounds like the "fieldy click", which really is nothing except a little EQing. the graphite neck probably helped, and his technique probably helped as well. not to say that he didn't have an effect processor, maybe for some chorus, but what you are describing sounds like an EQ and technique issue.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well - it IS true that you can get an accentuated click with a compressor.

It has to be one with adjustable attack and release controls. You set the attack relatively SLOW (long), and the release really FAST (short). It also helps if it's a hard-knee type comressor, I believe.

I adjust the attack on my CS-3 pedal for a little of this effect (way-up at about 2:00 - I never turn it off; run it full-time) - it does it a little, but there are rackmount compressors that'll do it better. One that I can think of is those old Yamaha ones. I don't know if they still make'em, but I know they make those things exactly the same like for-ever. They have very wide ranges on both the attack and release controls, and can be set up for very harsh, unnatural compression (what you're talking about would usually be considered an undesireable 'side-effect' of compression, but I like the idea of the exaggerated fret-click too!).

Joe

6. HoursBeforeDawn

HoursBeforeDawn

Jun 15, 2005
    Joe, I think you got it, I remember him talking about manipulating the ADSR envelope. I'm gonna check it out. Thank you! BTW do you or anyone else know if the BBE Maxcom has this feature? I just got one on eBay (for less than $160.00, incl. shipping, not too shabby). I'll check with the board here too. Damn, you would think I would wait until this thread panned out a little bit to buy a new compressor.

P's !!