1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'll never get it!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jun 22, 2003.

1. *pulls out his hair then throws his bass at the wall while screaming stuff that makes no sense at all*

Now that I got that out of the way....I will NEVER get the song YYZ under my belt!!! It's been about 6 months now, and I STILL can't get anywhere past the intro! It's driving me insane, why else would I be posting at 3 in the morning?! Gah, I'm so frustrated, I have never had this sort of problem happen to me, I see very little progress with this song:( it really makes me feel like a bad bassist to not be able to learn it.:meh: *shakes head and clicks submit*

2. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i feel for you todd i really do... if you keep at it, it may take forever but once you get it down there will be a pure moment of nirvana

good luck:D

3. i really tried to teach myself music theory and all that jazz, but it was much too hard to go beyond the basics without a teacher, even WITH talkbass here, i need hands on stuff for that i guess, wich isnt like me. the thing is i cant afford a teacher:meh: i usually try to play by ear, and if i cant i either guiltily look at tab:oops: or just stick at it for as long as i can until i get it, just this song man....ill never do it, im no bassist if i cannot learn to progress and grow.

4. I should be feeling bad...I can't get the one little part to Tom Sawyer:(

:oops:

5. im going to do something about this....i need my theory, ill keep you guys updated, tomorow everything is closed, but monday ill look for some sort of either book or maybe an affordable teacher if possible...

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Funny, I was just playing that song as i clicked on this thread... Well, I have been playing bass for around 6 years (3 of which i didn't really learn anything), and I can nail YYZ pretty well. I learned it from the tab- but that is not a habit that one shoudl get into.

I recently stopped using tabs, because I really feel that it only helps you to learn a song, and it doesn't help you grow.

Also, as stated before, learn theory and such. It will help more than you think.

Stay positive- I will drop you a PM.

7. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    this is just my 2 cents, but i dont think tabs are bad... i do my stright and speed work outs every day, so its not like im just learning from tabs but so far tabs have given me an "ear"

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Speed workouts. Mmkay.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would guess that you probably can afford a teacher.

10. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have this program called Playpro Interactive bass. It will teach you pretty much everything you need to know about bass and it only cost around $50 dollars. It will record you and then compare your playing with the computer. It is like having a teacher at home.

http://www.playprosoft.com/

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    That is possibly one of the best quotes ive heard in a long time.

If you learn scales and the theory around the song, then you can get it. I know its a bloddy hard song to get, but just keep at it, and try as many different approaches as posible