1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'll take my meatloaf with a side of racism, please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papazita, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Went out to the local buffet place for dinner tonight.
    I absolutely hate buffet restaurants (except for Chinese, of course! :cool: ), so this was the first I've been there in a few years.

In the parking lot was an out of town school bus.

Seated at the very back of the restaraunt, by the bathrooms, were the out of town high school students... maybe 16 or 18 teenagers, all black; the bus driver, black; and the 2 teacher/chaperones, also black.

As I'm sitting at my table eating, the tubby, buck-toothed "good ol' boy" manager came out to have a very loud conversation with a customer buddy of his. At first I thought nothing of it, other than the volume of their conversation being a little inconsiderate of the other diners. Then I hear his buddy ask about "all them blay-uhk keeids."

"Weelp," says the tubby manager; "they paid up front, but theys sittin' in the back! Heh heh heh... They all seem nice enough, but you know how it is with them kinda people; ya just never know. Cain't have 'em all sittin' up front where folks is comin' in, anyways. Bad fer bidness, know whut I mean? Heh heh heh!"

He saw me looking and added "Uh...bad fer bidness cuz folks comin' in might think all our tables is full if they see all a them people sittin' right there..."

:rollno:

The food sucked, too.

2. It happens...and it's unfortunate that it does...

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sad story. But kudos for possibly the most intriguing thread title this week.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If it weren't for the potential libel/slander suit that may follow, I would suggest reporting that to the paper.

You see people like the manager in the movies, but you never think those people actually exist in real life.

5. Stigs

Stigs

Sep 29, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Am I the only one who finds it hard to read a serious thread while constantly glancing at that avatar? :bag:

6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Maybe it's my own prejudices showing here, but one reason I hate buffets is that the view you get while eating makes me lose my appetite:

[​IMG]

One lady filled a bowl with cheddar cheese cubes, breadcrumbs, and bacon bits; then topped it off with 6 ladlefulls of ranch dressing, and... hot fudge sauce. :eek:
    It was so good, she went back for seconds.

Fat Salad!

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Was it seat yourself? Perhaps they preferred sitting in the back; away from all the riff raff.

I took my brother to Golden Corral (he's a simple fella) for his birthday and noticed a group of brown people tucked away in the corner. I thought it was weird but you picked where you sat on that particular night.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bah buh bah buh baaaaaaaaaaaah, I'm blubbin' it.

I mean, I like curves on a woman, but not when they overlap.

9. Very depressing... Last time I heard a story about overt racism like that in a restaurant setting, it was from a (white) friend who went to a Church's Fried Chicken in South Sacramento, and was asked with hostility "what the ____ are you doing in here, white boy?" by another customer. He just replied that he was there to enjoy his chicken, but they continued harassing him. The black staff behind the counter were also extremely racially abusive toward their own employee, an Asian cashier, using racist and sexist epithets among other words like "stupid" to insult and belittle her. Needless to say, he left in a hurry and never went back to that Church's...

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Wow. That's just dreadful, really disturbing. We still get a lot of issues over here connected with race/ethnicity, but I never hear stuff like that - it sounds almost like apartheid.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah, racism comes in all shapes colors and sizes. I really wish people would just move on past this crap.

12. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    A few years ago, my friend and I were in the drive-thru at a Taco Bell/KFC combo. We had to circle around 3 times, as our girlfriends kept calling us to change their orders.

The worker at the window was a young black male who was getting more and more confused each time we pulled up. Finally on our third pass, he asked if we had just been there. We lied and said no. He came back with "Sorry man, but all you white m.f.'ers look the same to me!"

Racist? Yes!
    Funny? In that situation, yes!

13. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    +1

There are so many reasons to dislike someone on a personal level, why bring race into it?

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's not racism to me - just honesty. :D

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I think what bothers me most about racism, is the seeming double standard that you sometimes see. Being a guy in a mixed race marriage with a mixed race child, I can honestly say that in my perspective at least, the ones who are often quoted as being the most racist, are actually the least.
    Or maybe a better way to say it, is that if we are all truly created equal and are all human beings, then we're subject to the same human frailties of having an "us and them" mentality at times. There IS no "good race" or "bad race", only just one human race full of judgmental attitudes and potential goofiness at times.
    Wow... that's it no more Sam Adams lager for me.. I cant wait to come back tomorrow and reread what I may have posted tonite. I wonder if it will make sense then?
    meh, cheers.

bUuUUurp

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I LOVE buffet dining! Ya just can't beat the floor show! ;)

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Yeah, it's not the same as back in the UK. I moved over here about 12 years ago and still feel like I'm navigating a minefield blindfold whenever the issue comes up.

(I have theories about why the differences exist but that could possibly turn into a misunderstanding-fueled mess and would rather just not go there).

18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Reminds me of a friend waxing poetically about race and peace at the bar one day, all wasted and slurring.

You have completed the Deja Vu.

19. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    As someone from Sacramento, this doesn't surprise me. On paper it's one of the most integrated cities in the country, but in real life it's usually one neighborhood split by a main street, all the white people on one side, all the black people on the other, and other minorities mixed in with the blacks in little pockets.

20. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    If y'all were indoctrinated to be all righteous about obesity instead of skin color, you would all be huffing and puffing about the bigotry in post #6 and laughing about the first post.

My .02.