I'll tell you what is the right tecnique

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by kontri, Oct 8, 2002.

1. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    When you feel very relaxed in your whole body and specially in you right arm (using bow) and you're prducing a solid and a bueatiful tone, then you're doing it right.

But how do I do this?

There are so many ways, that's what you have to know. There is no one way and what may work for one person might not be as good for another.

But the basic is, relax the whole arm and let it literally hang on the bow so this weight is the only pressure making the string move. If you don't get a quick responce from the string you can add a little and a mean a LITTLE pressure with your index finger. Your fingers and wrist must be flexible in bowchanges, if not you will always get an accent when changing bow.

Holding the bow, try both placing the thumb on the wood and in the frog. When I started I had mine on the wood but now I feel I can control the bow better with my thumb in the frog.

Good handposition is important for the left hand, I recomend Streicher (you dont need a teacher, just read the forword and the beginning of book 1) for the lower register, and Petracci and Streicher together work good for shifts and thumbposition.

Check out as many etudes as you find but before working on an etude you must decide or find out what you have to learn from it and then practise it with that in mind. Be critical and listen to your string crossing, bowchanging, intonation ect. and always start a new etude playing it at least, and I mean at LEAST half tempo so you can listen to what you're doing.

Changing string=wrist movement, minimum movement of arm

playing very fast detache = wrist is the only moving part of your body, everething else is relaxing. Ok, maybe your left hand will be working hard...sorry!

If you tired and not paying attention to what your doing then stop practising, you're not making progress if the brain isn't working. Good technique is all in the brain, it's the brain who makes all the decisions.

2 hours of hard concentrated practising is better than 8 hours of playing without thinking.

I can't write more now, I'm to tired to think.
  2. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    You may tell me if you think what I wrote is useful???? Or do you think it's bulls**t????
  3. I realize that sine you're posting from Denmark, English probably isn't your first language; thus, the nuances might not be there.

Nevertheless, giving a post the title of "I'll tell you what is the right technique" may imply that your way is right and everyone else's is wrong, which will usually generate less discussion and more eyerolling than anything else.
  4. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Hi, thanks for your reply

I come from Iceland and live in Denmark, but that doesn't matter. If I write something you can't understand then just ask!

I wanted to have a titel with an edge to it. I wanted those interested in technique to check it out. So many are asking questions, and many hoping to be able to learn how to play the bass without the most powerful tool, scales.

I just wanted to tell everyone about my experience, learning the bass. And it's been going fast forward these days now that I've discovered so many technical things.

I play french bow...sorry I didn't mention it before

Yes, I know, sorry about my English.
  5. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    I said in my article "you don't need a teatcher" that is only regarding discovering the handpsition. Everyone should have a teather is my opinion.

Everything I write is my opinion. Not the holy truth.

6. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I think you are perfectly right about relaxing the right arm. Actually prolly the whole body should be as relaxed as possible, no? But it's easier to say than to do. Maybe that's why the "brain" ingredient should be added ? Or maybe a teacher for guidance ?
  7. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    It's like golf, you won't get it good until you start relaxing and alow the gravity to do the swing. But yes it's difficult to do this without a teatcher. There are many pitfalls on the way.

When doing this I want to add, keep the wrist high when you're at the frog and alow it to lower it self on the way to the tip.

No method is a good method if you don't have anyone to guide you.

I know you can't learn it from me on the internet, but I think it's important for everyone to know that relaxing is the thing. You can use all the methods in the world but if you're not relaxed it won't sound good.

If you have doubts, if you think I'm a jerk and I don't know what I'm saying.... have good life playing on the streets for coins, I tried my best.

Se you later dude's
  8. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    That's an orchestral thing. When playing in an orchestr with maybe 7 other basses you can not hear what you're playing. So the fingers must know where to press. You dont have time to fix it and you won't hear who it is that's playing out of tune.

Life is difficult...but fun