Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'll tell you who rocks the bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jiles, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Mike Rutherford....yeah, that dude from Mike and The Mechanics and yes...Genesis. He layed down some fat-ass tracks on Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and alot of the earlier good stuff. IE....before Collins took over and ruined the band's sound..... :bassist:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    While I'm a fan of that era of Genesis, I nonetheless always felt that Rutherford approached the bass too much like a guitarist. Nice parts, but no feel, no groove.

Can't trash Phil Collins, some of the best basslines ever are on his solo stuff, by the master Lee Sklar . . .

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    The Lamb has some really cool bass parts. Thanks for reminding me of that album. :)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I remember spending HOURS trying to nail "No Reply At All" from Abacab when it came out.... I still dig playing that tune (my last cover band did it and "Man on the Corner").

Phil vs. Pete vs. the quality of Genesis... I dig Phil, he is a great pop vocalist... and the odd star at that. The pudgy, balding Non-hunk... kinda the geek made good. I listen to Phil-Genesis MUCH more then Pete-Genesis...

BUT

I own a copy of EVERY Pete solo disc (well just one of the official bootlegs from the last tour, so I'm shy the 10-12 other dates he sold from the tour ;) ) AND see him live when I can.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Let's not forget: "The Battle of Epping Forest".

Despite Phil Collin's serious POP leanings, the guy can play drums...very nicely. The other guys making sounds in Genesis aren't slouches either.