I'll tell you who rocks the bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jiles, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Mike Rutherford....yeah, that dude from Mike and The Mechanics and yes...Genesis. He layed down some fat-ass tracks on Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and alot of the earlier good stuff. IE....before Collins took over and ruined the band's sound..... :bassist:
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    While I'm a fan of that era of Genesis, I nonetheless always felt that Rutherford approached the bass too much like a guitarist. Nice parts, but no feel, no groove.

Can't trash Phil Collins, some of the best basslines ever are on his solo stuff, by the master Lee Sklar . . .
  3. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    The Lamb has some really cool bass parts. Thanks for reminding me of that album. :)
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I remember spending HOURS trying to nail "No Reply At All" from Abacab when it came out.... I still dig playing that tune (my last cover band did it and "Man on the Corner").

Phil vs. Pete vs. the quality of Genesis... I dig Phil, he is a great pop vocalist... and the odd star at that. The pudgy, balding Non-hunk... kinda the geek made good. I listen to Phil-Genesis MUCH more then Pete-Genesis...

I own a copy of EVERY Pete solo disc (well just one of the official bootlegs from the last tour, so I'm shy the 10-12 other dates he sold from the tour ;) ) AND see him live when I can.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Let's not forget: "The Battle of Epping Forest".

Despite Phil Collin's serious POP leanings, the guy can play drums...very nicely. The other guys making sounds in Genesis aren't slouches either.