Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

illegal band name!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Howard K, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, the leader of my band, Gaudi, has just received a letter from a solicitor threatening to take us to high court unless we stop using the name Gaudi as our band name!

That's all!

:confused:

2. eh? :confused:

on what grounds?

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Is it from the solicitor of another band that is using that name, or what?

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    dunno, my guess is it's a registered trademark. there's already a (pretty much unkknown) music artist called gaudi,so i guess that's it.

..or there's the spanish architect, but io doubt it's his name that's been copyrighted?

5. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I guess the reason is the the Gaudi-name is a trademark for Antoni Gaudi that is an architecht and designer from Spain. The Spanish government didn't treat him so good when he was alive, so they are trying to make it up by earning a lot of money on his name instead.

Gaudi-info:
    http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/Antonio_Gaudi.html

tore

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Use the old trick of clapping an "X" onto the end of your band name.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    No.
    That'd be too much like Liberty X.
    Which is kind of a bad thing.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You know the story about the band Bush, right? There was already a Canadian band called Bush, so the famous Bush were known as "Bush X", but only in Canada. Pretty silly if you ask me.

9. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    You can call yourself Gouda. I believe that is a smelly cheese:D

If the name is is a trademark you can get trouble, but the laws on this are different around the world. I don't know the english ones. In Norway the can deny you to use a name if it's registrated as a trademark, but only if you are in the same buisniss (guess i didn't spell that one right) So you can call you band The Statoilers even there is a oilcompany using that name. Check it out with the Patent Office or Trademark Register wath the law says.

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    well i dont rightly care to be honest, i just thought it was rather funny that we get threatened with legal action over an unprofessional band who havent even released an indie single!!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Gouda is quite mild actually and not particuarly smelly - but is is a registered trademark as well, so would be just as bad!! ;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

This is something you have to be careful about - my band went to a lot of trouble to register our name and spent a fair amount of money on it
    -- but then one of our band members is a retired accountant!!

We actualy dicovered that there was a professional band in Brazil who had the same name and had released albums - but they had long disbanded and had never bothered to register the name themselves! ;)

For their sakes , I hope they don't want to re-form for a comeback tour - we'll sue their asses!! :D

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'm curious - where and how do you go about registering your band name?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well - our guitarist/musical director/leader and our accountant, explained it all at a band meeting a while ago - I can't remember all the details, but I think there was a website where you can do it - but there was something else as well- I think it is to do with the fact that we set the band up as a registered charity - so we are a "legal entity" ...can't remember all the details though......

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You're a charity? Do you have someone going round collecting at gigs, wearing a sash? :D

16. Bruce Lindfield

No - actually we had a band meeting last night and we have averaged between £600 and £700 per gig. But we don't intend to make a profit - the money goes into a special account and a lot of it is ploughed back into costs and things like getting people to write us songs/arrangements and do workshops on Latin styles.

We do have a band "dividend" which is officially supposed to go towards expenses - so last night we voted to pay ourselves £100 each from the money in the bank! :)

(I did mention we have a retired accountant playing Tenor Sax!! :D )

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, I don't believe you did :D

18. Bruce Lindfield

We have set up our own gig at the Brighton Festival in May and expect this to be our biggest earner yet - everything is usually sold out in the Festival and we are charging £8.75 per ticket in a venue that holds about 400 - that's a pretty good "take" considering we have only paid out about £250 for the privilege so far!!

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Interesting! I'd be grateful if you could find out what the website was - or a step for a hint so that I can try a search for it!

Since the band split, and we had our difficulties with our ex band members trying to copyright the band songs mostly to themselves...... I'm keen to try to set things up right copyright of tracks, and also band name so that nothing is left to chance anymore. Our band is potentially going to start making some money this year, and I don't want letter's like Howard K got!

20. Bruce Lindfield

I'll ask next time I see them - maybe at Jazz Co-op tonight or next Monday's band rehearsal.