Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Illness and bass playing (maybe bad news again)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JayAmel, Nov 18, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi friends,

Last night I didn't sleep. I had a violent asthma crisis, it lasted almost all night long. It began at 2:00 AM and lasted and 9:15 AM in the emergency service of the hospital.

The radiograph shows a few emphysemas, nothing big and nothing fatal, and fortunately there seems to be no cancerous zone.

I've been subject to asthma for a few years now, but I seldom have violent crisis (this one was the third of my life). But this crisis really frightened me. There were two specific moments where I felt I was close to respiratory distress.

Not only I was frightened, but I also frightened my wife and daughter. My daughter (aged 10) cried all day long at school. I do not have the right to make them suffer that way. That's why I decided to stop smoking right now. Almost 24 hours have passed since my last cigarette, and I must say that my moral motivation is stronger than my smoking desire, at least for the moment.

What bothers me most, apart from pain I inflicted to my family, is that I believe I won't be able, at least for a few months, to play bass live. I wish to be very careful with my health now, and carrying stuff, basses, amps, etc., may cause me asthma complications because of the weight, and breathlessness it may cause.

Thus I have to modify my musical projects, and to centre my musical actions to studio ones.

If any of you who experienced serious diseases, and more specifically asthma, could share their experience with me, speak how they conciliated disease and bass playing, I'd be grateful. I must say that tonight I have something like blues in my mind... Supposingly there'll be better days... Thanks to everyone.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Very sorry to hear that jaylan!

I just want to give you a heads-up on that "quit smoking project".

I quit more than 8 weeks ago. The last few years I chain-smoked (a pack of tobacco lasted 2-3 days only!), and I still liked it - no health problems, nothing. But I wanted to change some things in my life, and smoking was one of them. And I did it (so far)!

So you can do it, especially since your motivation is much greater than mine (I suppose).

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks JMX,

Don't know what you call chain-smokin', 'cause these last years I smoked about 4 25-cigarette boxes (= 100 cigarettes) per day !

I was conscious this was much too much (even if I smoked them only half-length), but I was expecting for a no-stress time to stop somkin'. Due to circumstances, I had to stop quite earlier than that.

Thanks for your support again,

All the best,

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, I don't think I was in that range (I never counted packs, I rolled my own cigarettes), but I think I did 50+ pretty regularly.

The great thing is that you now can smell things again (which can be a bad thing occasionally).

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Xavier,

I read your experience about asthma, and what I lived tonight is very close to what you lived in April.

I know I have to get some rest. Won't be easy, since I'm someone always very active... But as for stoppin' smokin', I have to.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    An athsmatic with emphysema smoking cigarettes ...

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    100 a day?
    wow
    jaylan get better man...
    I know how asthma is it sucks bad.. i dont have it that bad but i do a bit and it limits alot of things for me =X like skating a whole lot =(
    good luck on quit smoking.. it will be hard but soooooo much more worth it..

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Munji, this is no place for that... seriously dude---

9. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Sorry to hear that. I had an experience about a couple weeks ago. I was at b/f's house. No matter what I did that day, I could not breath. Nothing I did cleared me up. Not even the ashma medication I had. I think I was starting to od on it, for I was spritzing ever three to four min. I just could not breath. We went out to eat, and I thought..."Cool, clean air, I will be able to breath"...Nope, no such luck. We ended up leaving the resturant. I waited outside, while b/f, paid bill w/my daughter with him. I was literally clutching the wall when they came out. B/f, helped me to the car, as we approached it, I blacked out for a full second. Scared the crap out of him and daughter. We went back to his house, and it just got worse...Sad thing was, I didn't have insurance so I could go to the E.R. we compromised and got a breathing machine...THis attack literally lasted several days...although each day did get better...it didn't hinder my bass playing cuz, I don't play...But Acoustic did fine:D

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    sorry to hear that Jaylan.. I've suffered asthma when i was 5 til I was around 15.. and I've went in to the hospitals for Asthma attacks and I know how you feel..

Feel better my friend

DM

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hey Jaylan - hope your health improves! And well done on packing in smoking! I hope that this all works out for you!

I have had asthma for the past 8 years - but it is really well controlled!

I have several allergies, and only one has come close to being the end for me! Ironically it was snails! I had them as a starter when I went out for a meal for my 24th Birthday! They were lovely - 8 hours later, the emergency docotr is out to see me with ventolin and high strength anti-histamines. Of course it was easy for me to kick the snails habit....

Anyway, all the best with you task! Stopping smoking I believe is a hard thing to do, especially when you are so used to it. I'm sure you'll fidn the strength to do it, and reap the health benefits that it'll bring!

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks to all,

ChenNuts44, don't blame Munji. He's right. When you know you have asthma and keep on smokin' 100+ cigarettes a day, you're nothin' but a sucker. And I believe the only reason why Munju did not directly treat me of a sucker is respect.

I have to say I just smoked a cigarette (the first one since 36 hours, but ya know, the only after meal... the one you miss the most), I could not swallow the smoke at all. And I could not go till the end of the cigarette, I felt disgusted of smoking much before. I really guess (and at least hope) that I'm on the good way to quit smokin'.

I have recovered most of my breathing capacity, I have aerosols 3 times a day. I also know the main trigger of my asthma is stress, I am someone hyperanxious.

Thanks again to everyobe, your friendship is valued,

Peace,

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i am a fellow TB member with asthma...i've had it since i've been born...(im 15) and although i've never smoked (ciggarettes or otehriwse) the thought of it sickens me...so i tip my hat to you for wanting to quit and i hope it goes well

i've had several asthma attacks when i was younger...atleast 5 times i've had to go to the ER...one time they thought i had less than 5 minutes to live...so i know how having asthma can feel

just stay strong

bp13

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I also have asthma - it's pretty much cleared up now, but when I was younger it was really bad and I did have one or two close calls back in the day. I know the feeling. Take it easy for a while and everything will hopefully get better... :) good luck

As for combining bass and asthma... vigorous exercise (ie, lifting amp) CAN trigger an attack, so be careful. Stress can be a nasty trigger too, but that's very difficult to avoid.

PS I am also dumb enough to be smoking... trying to quit...

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe I don't understand this because I don't smoke, but why would you (or anyone) find this enjoyable? What makes smoking even one cigarette a day enjoyable, to say nothing of smoking one after another, all day long?

I sincerely congratulate anyone and everyone that has already quit smoking and wish everyone who is trying to quit, all the luck in the world.

Good luck to you, jaylanb! You can do it!

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sorry to hear about that jalanb. I have a friend who has asthma, and it has affected many aspects of his day to day life, but he has learned a few things not to do, and gets along very well, so I am hopeful that you can overcome it all too.

And best of luck quitting smoking. I am in the phase right now where I am trying to talk myself into quitting. I only smoke about 2 packs a day, but it is still difficult, so I know what a challenge it is for you right now.

Best of luck
    Ryan