Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm a bassist!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Komakino, Feb 23, 2001.

1. ....well, I just got my first bass anyway! At least I'm on my way to possibly being able to call myself a bassist....hey, everyone has to start somewhere!

I was wondering how other people got in to bass? I started playing a friend's three months ago and just got hooked taking tabs round to his place all the time to try them out. I just had to get a bass of my own before he got fed up with the permenant intrusion!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats, and welcome to the ranks, soldier! :D

3. that makes you all right in my book. good luck.

4. "Stand Hut!" *salutes*

Now private.....

:D

lol, ok Dad had a bass in the store room when he needed to fill in for his band. I always wanted to start a band and so i picked it up one day. I asked dad if i could use it and he let me. So it started from there...

Then the bands came along.......lol

Merls

Welcome to TB and a word of warning, I don't post anything serious on here and so never listen to me! lol :p

5. welcome, enjoy the info and sarcasm

6. Info? what where? You mean we come here to l-e-a-r.........*shakes* i can't say it doc, i just can't.....

Merls

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Good luck, have fun, and give serious consideration to learning to read standard notation so you won't become dependent on tabs and learning to transcribe music so that you won't need to wait for someone to "tab out" the music for you.

It takes a long time to reach that point, though. In the mean time, keep trying. I'd love to hear from you a year from now. Tell us how you are progressing. You'll pick up alot if you stay here at Talkbass. Don't hesitate to ask questions if there is something you don't understand.

jason oldsted

8. And be sure to not use the word all TB'ers love...

Fieldy. :D

9. Thanks guys, it's really great to get encouragement from people like you...it makes learning more fun.

Yeah, I will try to learn standard music notation. I can read treble cleff OK-ish (nothing a bit of practice won't cure) but I'm not too familiar with the ol' bass cleff yet...but hell, I'll give it a go!

Cheers for the friendly welcome!

10. Hey Congrats!

I am really not that far "ahead" of you...I started "playing" learning actually like 8 months ago...

Talkbass is great for giving you inpriration and also that odd kick in the butt so many of us need! :D

I hung out here like 2 months before I finally got the nerve to buy a cheapy beginner set up...and have never regretted it!My goals for this year include getting a teacher(money and time willing).

Hang in there and don`t listen to all them nay saying guitar players and laymen who tell you how "easy" and "unimportant" bass is.....and how "anyone can do it".Well that part is true...anyone can,provided they try hard enough and practice long ,like anything else.

Welcome aboard Soldier! *clicking heels together and saluting*

Usul

11. Please note, the insulting of drummers is a key virtue here at talkbass, afterall who want to be outdone by a baboon?? :p

Merls

12. shh! haven't you heard of the ole' bait and switch.

13. I was waiting for someone to say it... :D

On a real note... I don't remember who told me this, but remember to practice.

14. Welcome to the Low Life

15. Elle

Elle

Feb 25, 2001
    England
    Like everyone else who replied to your post, welcome!

I am also new to the bass - I started playing last July and have taught myself so far; although I'm thinking of having lessons!

Have fun being a bassist! :0)