Im a beginer and I could very well use your input.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StaCKY65, Feb 10, 2002.

1. StaCKY65

Feb 10, 2002
    I have never had a bass of my own but i fell in love with my friends. I realy enjoy playing it and i want to get one of my own. I was wondering if you could help me out. Im loking for the best bass i can buy thats under $260. Any advice is greatly apreciated. If you could also recomend an amp thats under 260 $. Thanks. Im looking for a P-bass. i dont want one with jazz pickups in it.
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, first check out your local bargain sheets and stores for any used basses. You might be able to land a Fender P for that price. If not, well, there's always going for the Squier, but, I highly suggest Johnson's for starter basses. I've played a few and they seem like solid basses for the price.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I fyou want a P bass, then get one. You should get a Made In Mexico (MIM) P bass Standard. They run about $300-350. Anything less would probably be a Squier which quality wise isn't as good as the MIM's for the most part.

There are alot of amps in that price range. Crate, Fender, Hartke, etc between 50-60 watts. Play alot & but ehat you like.
  5. StaCKY65

Feb 10, 2002
    My friend suggested an ibenez GSR100. I played an OLP at sam ash and kinda liked it but have never heard that brand.
  6. I too am a beginner, and I am going to recommend a Yamaha RBX 170. Very good for its price. I like my kramer bass too:
  7. StaCKY65

Feb 10, 2002
    Kramer? Hmm... What kind of Kramer did u have and how well did it hold up?
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Hey man, welcome to

I suggest that you go to Guitar Center and ask them for a Fender Standard Precision Bass. Haggle with them a little bit and you should be able to get it for around $260 if you're lucky.

The best beginner amp is the Peavey Microbass. Its 20 watts and sounds incredible. It can even handle the low B on a 5 string. There isn't a better sounding beginner amp that I have ever heard, period.

Good luck! Bass rules
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    May I ask you why?
  10. I second the microbass recommendation. I have been playing my bass through a guitar amp lol, and the moment i heard the microbass, i was shocked a beginner amp could sound this good. I just bought one and it should arive soon. Chris is psyched. :D
  11. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Welcome and happy belated birthday!

I would do what lo-end said,but before you do that,play as many different basses in your price range as you can.Maybe play some that are a little more money than you want to spend,then if you really like one,look around for a used one just like it.That may take a little patience however.
  12. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Well...for 250 a Music Man OLP Stingray
    and for 260 a Washburn Xb-100

and for an amp Ibanez BZ-10 10 watt...100 bucks tops...but both those basses will give you the bang for the buck...and welcome to talkbass!
  13. StaCKY65

Feb 10, 2002
    Yeah i played the OLP at samash and i liked how it sounded. Im kinda leaning towards that one. My cousin recomended getting a used bass so i went to a local guitar store and i played a johnson that i realy liked. I dont know the exact make but its 180 bucks. Plus if i buy the bass there i can get a discount for lessons. im in a bit of a toss-up. I realy liked both guitars? I think i might go with the johnson. Any pointers before i buy?
  14. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Amps? May i suggest a crate BX50. Its crisp..and can go pretty loud and still sound good. its 250 bucks at guitar center(wich isn't bad). happy hunting.
  15. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ibanez GSR= bad...anyways jsut get a MIM Pbass used....probably could get one for under $200 if you are smart...they sound great too, you just can't mess up with pbass pickups...of course playability is a different issue. MIms go from godly basses, to pieces of crap that belong in a gutter(My friend found an MIM Jazz bass in a gutter...took it home and now he is a bass player....I wanted it bad cuz it was all beat up)
  16. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL

OLP is made is a economy line marketed by music man. :cool:
  17. I second that. I find Jazz pickups to be FAR more versatile, that and I'm not a big fan of the p-bass sound...

18. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wouldn't. I had one given to me, and couldn't get $75 out of it. I'd stay with the MIM Fender or the OLP.

19. Dude, Welcome to Talkbass.

I think your choice for a P bass is a good one. For a starter, a P is the best way to go, IMO.

You could probably land a used Mexican Fender for that price. I suggest you look into Yamaha. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the quality of Yamaha is excellent, and the prices are unbeatable.

Check out for some ideas.
  20. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    look around for an OLD Peavey, with the spikey logo. I got mine for $250, and its WAY better than all the $1200 Fenders i've played. T-40's pop up on Ebay all the time, usually around $1-200.