I'm a bit confused (GB Shuttle 6.0 Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyMan, May 22, 2012.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Hey folks, i have a Genz Benz Suttle 6.0 12T combo, and everything is fantastic, but the MID and MID FREQ knobs in Parametric section of the active equalization are a bit confusing..

if i put everything flat, the bass doesn't sound like flat, actually it loses a bit of bottom end, and slap sound gets very thin, obviously if i tweak the knobs i can achieve a better tone, but at the end, i don't know which point is considered Flat, (I use Warwick Streamer Jazzman, battery is new, active mode)

it's happening that at this point i use the mids 3pm and mid freq 9am and it's ok but my band mates told me that it sounds a little bit midrangy in that way, but here in my room i got used to that equalization and it sounds good to me, but not so to others..

If someone has experienced this, I would appreciate your thoughts!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What knob positions are using as flat?

3. Best not to think of 'flat' at all, but rather 'neutral'. When the tone controls are set to neutral, the amp sounds like the designer 'hears it in his head' (or otherwise designed the amp to sound).

With the Shuttle 6, that sounds is a tight low end (too tight for many), and a bright upper midrange. Most boost the low end a bit, and also punch up the low mids with the semi-parametric mid control.

Zero issue, and again, since no cab is 'flat', and each bass and player has a different voicing/tonality', the concept of a 'flat' setting on a head is pretty useless.

Use your ears, not your eyes:D

4. Also, remember, each room sounds WAY different. That is one of the reasons the amp has EQ knobs... to 'equalize' for room differences.

5. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    the 4 knobs on the "Active Equalization" are 12 clock

6. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Wow that helped me a lot, Thankyou very much! i will try

7. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also, remember a little goes a long way with the Shuttle control.
    My favorite setting when I had the shuttle was LF engaged, Bass about 1 o'clock (or a little less. one or two clicks), mid freq between 9 and 10 o'clock and mid about 2.5 o'clock, treble at noon.
    I played a Hamer Cruise Bass (jazz) and a Lakland 55-02.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Try pressing both the Bass contour emphasis and the Mid contour shape, while boosting 600hz mids with parametric EQ. Cut highs a tab, boost bass a tab. Keep drive gain low.

With a passive Jazz you should get a meaty clean bottom—the good kind!

9. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    What sounds good in your room and what works in the mix of your band are two very different things.

In my band, the Shuttle 6.0 with everything at noon, (low extend off) is just about right, maybe a bit of low mid boost at about 150hz. But "flat" works good for me. I like the tight bottom end, not much for huge lows.

But I don't slap, fingerstyle only on a P bass with the tone control turned to just short of full treble. Pretty mid heavy anyway. Also I'm going through a neox 212t.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021