1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm a coffee snob...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vegas532, Sep 13, 2008.

1. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I was sitting at home when the big brown truck honked and dropped off a pound of Ethiopian Gololcha that I purchased onlined. I'm pretty much huffing the box when it dawns on me...I'm pretty much a full-blown coffee snob!

Now that I have this horrible confession off of my chest I'm just wondering...Am I alone on this? If there are more of you out there, speak up so I don't feel so awkward. :help:

2. There's nothing wrong with partaking in the finer things in life.

I dig coffee as well.

3. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    I'm a coffee snob. it's a disease!!

4. I don't drink coffee. I don't like the taste, but I also don't like the fact the a lot of coffee growers are living on the edge of poverty because they are getting royally ripped off by most large coffee purchasers.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I can't stand instant coffee. Won't drink it.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Cafe Crema from Puerto Rico does it for me. Tasty damned stuff.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Instant coffee is a tool of the devil...BLASPHEMY!! :D

8. Not sure if I am a coffee snob but I drink on average 3 larges a day. In Canada the big coffee joint is Tim Horton's. They suck more money out of me on a daily basis than bass gear. Quite addicted.

While I post this I am drinking a cup of coffee that I made with my home Tim Horton's coffee maker. Of course I used Tim Horton's fine grind coffee.

9. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I take my coffee very seriously.

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    That is why I buy organic fair trade.

That being said I myself am a coffee snob to the point that I won't even drink starbucks. Here is what I drink. http://www.domacoffee.com/

Locally roasted, very fresh and tasty. I like the Ethiopian Yergicheffe.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Go back and search some of our previous coffee threads and you will see the kind of coffeegeekery that I take part in.. I roast my own beans and I do not usually use any beans that were roasted more than 2 weeks prior, I insist on grinding with a quality grinder only immediately before I brew, the water must be between 195 and 205 degrees, I have 2 burr grinders, one of which I occasionally see on the counter of coffee shops, I have an E61 style heat-exchanger espresso machine that I use almost every morning as well as many other brewing methods available in my counters and counter-tops. I'm pretty obsessed with the fine-tuning and geeking of all components of any given brewing process and I really get into the technical side of brewing as well as some of the artistic components as well (latte art).

Anyway...you want to talk coffee snobbery then I'm your man. I'm going to go make my morning cappuccino now...that's a traditional style cappuccino btw...4.5oz double. :) Maybe I'll have a double-shot of espresso first.

bc

12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    A morning without good coffee is like ...
    sleep.

"I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee."
    ~Flash Rosenberg

13. I'm a coffee snob in training.

I recently switched from prepackaged ground coffee and am grinding my own beans. For a good cup of coffee I am using a French Press/coffee press. The only thing with the Press is it's a little time consuming for my weekly routine, so for that I will deduct a few snob points. :p I'm currently (still) looking for a good single cup brewer that will do ground coffee.

Having a cup from Dunkin Donuts is not below me, but lucky for me there is a decent coffee shop up the road from where I work.

Give me some time and I wont like anything but the way *I* make coffee. :D

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If it doesn't have to be electric then:
    http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

@ Amazon

Gets pretty universally good reviews. Combine it with an electric hot water kettle and it really takes little time. Clean up is very, very fast. Not as messy as FP. Just ignore the water temp advice in the instructions and stick to 195-205 degree water.

Pour the water in, wait a few seconds, press, pour some of the remaining hot water into the concentrate that comes out and it's pretty darn good coffee. I have tried a friend's myself.

bc

15. That's hardcore.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Community Coffee.

That's it.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Coffee snob here. A pound of Mayorga Kenya AA gives me almost as big of a chub as Vida Guerra.

18. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    alls you need

[​IMG]

not a snob (love my DDs and 'bucks), but i have fun trying different beans from different places when i see them around.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How do coffee snobs feel about Starbucks? Their normal coffee always tastes burnt to me. Then again, 90% of what I drink is the Folger's that they make in the cafeteria at work.

20. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    To OP...try Intelligentsia.com - get the BlackCat Expresso beans. Really great stuff. I also like their Kiddo which is sort of "sweet".