im a complet pickup noob, whats good for:

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Dec 5, 2004.

1. [​IMG]

was my 19th birthday yesterday so i went and treated myself to a new Essex bass, ^^^ that bass but maple neck.... Gorgeus bass....

it plays wonderful, just like my other essex, but i belive they are both cheap in the electronics and pickup department.

and i know nothing about pickups, soooooooo whats out there thats good

price: 100$ maybe a touch more or so...

sound: im looking for a big well defined sound, im playing just alot of rock music , on the heavier side... dunno..

whats out there?? thanks

EDIT- MUST BE PASSIVE, dont have the room for a battery....
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My recommendation is to get to know the instrument before you change the pickups. Yes, I know many of us around here are tweakers and change anything and everything. So, you can either do like the rest of us and change our pickups as often as we change our oil, or you can enjoy your new instrument and learn what you like and dislike about it before spending more money on it.

I say this because the answer is more dependent on the person than the instrument. 10 different people will give you 10 different recommendations. And when you learn what you like, it will probably be different than any of the previous 10 recommendations.

So, congratulations on your new instrument. I hope that you have a great time playing it.
  3. Hmmm.

I think you bought a SX SJB62 CT?

Frankly I'd suggest just leaving the pickups as they are. I own a bunch of different instruments and that particular model of SX has decent pickups. They are at least as good as a Fender MIM Jazz. as a matter of fact a number of TBers actually gig and record with stock Sx/Brice basses.

In reality passive pickups are really very simple devices. The total materials cost for a decent pickup isn't more than $10-$15, and that's retail. If you're a Chinese/Korean manufacturer and building them in bulk the actual materials cost goes down to around $2, or so, each.

So I'd suggest keeping the Sx stock until you have a definite goal in mind.

PS: Yes it is passive.
  4. thanks for the replys guys... the pickups do sound pretty good,

yeh, its that model - same thing, just maple neck with black block inlays... so sesie

but like i said - i own another SX bass.... dont think they make that one anymore....bbut anyway, i've been gigiing with it for about 3 years or so... the bass itself held up strong, but i've had alot of problems with the pots, and the wires coming competly off inside ... causing problems..

so i figure since this is just a great looking bass, and i love the feel, i figure i'd upgrade the electronics, make it complet you know
  5. Hmmm.

Then maybe just replacing the pots and/or resoldering the connections would be good enough.
  6. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001

yeah, what he said.