I'm a DB newbie.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Whafrodamus, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I play bass guitar, and I've been getting into fretless and uprights. I have a few questions. I played one of the basses my school has, and it felt good. Now, I'm 6'1", should I get a 3/4 or 4/4 scale? I know what to look for in bass (guitars), but I don't know exactly what to look for in uprights. What should I look for as far as quality and stuff? Also, what brands/basses should I look for as far as price goes. I don't have a gagillion dollars to spend on a Pre-WWII Upright made by a Bulgarian luthier named Hans. I want something as inexpensive as possible while keeping somewhat good quality, basically the Essex of uprights. What should I look for? All other suggestions will be helpful. By the way, I don't play classical, I play jazz. I won't be using a bow.
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

Have you checked the newbie links? Most, if not all of your questions can be answered there.

"Essex of uprights?" you might as well be speaking Mandarin Chinese.....I don't get it. We rarely go by "brand names" on this side of the board. A bass is a very personal thing, very subjective. In any case, it sounds to me like you are in the market for a plywood bass (not hand carved).

Once again, check out the Newbie Links.
  3. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    hELLO AAAEdaji ...

i m also a DB newbie but I'm coming in from the guitar side. I will second what tim said...use the newbie links and search function. I can't believe how much I have learned without asking a single question. In fact thats why I'm here tonight...to work with on my searching technique to find answers to a question I know has been asked a hundred times before...

Sounds like you're having fun in high school bands. I have two sons that went through the HS concert/marching/jazz bands and they learned a lot and I sure had fun as a parent. One of my sons is in college and has continued in music (although now he is in a bagpipe band!!!) and the other boy is going to play in college jazz band as a drumset player. sounds like you are well on your way too.

BTW...the vast majority of DB players use 3/4 size basses but there are some that use 7/8. 4/4 is pretty rae as far as I can tell.
  4. Forget 4/4. It's an albatross. For a first bass in your price range, get a 3/4. They're the easiest to sell. If you hate DB, you'll sell it. If you love DB, you'll probably upgrade when you know better what's for you, and you'll sell your first. Worry about 7/8 when you get your first symphony gig.