Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im a doubler...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i have a conklin GT-7 7 string bass guitar

i have been playing double bass in my school orchestra for 5 years now.

lets say i had $2000 to spend on an upright.

what should i look into? im a total greenhorn to the upright bass market.

2. $2,000 gets you a Christopher plywood bass. It's one of the best values I've seen. Dave Brubeck's bassist (Michael Moore) uses one almost exclusively.

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've heard good things about Strunals too - Don probably knows better than me though. Here's the key tho, whatever you get, get it to a good luthier asap...

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    An option that seems to be often overlooked by those just entering The Dark Side, is the more traditional approach to finding a bass by exercising time and patience and finding a deal on an older bass that suits your 'needs v. pocketbook'. If you're out in the middle of nowhere then you don't have many options, but if you're near at least a medium sized city you can usually find a good bass in a reasonable amount of time. The advantage of an older bass over a new one is that they're usually 'played in' or can be awakened without much effort, and someone has already spent the time getting the thing set up nicely.

My $.02 USD

PS: I love my bass, don't get me wrong. She's a year old and I wouldn't sell her for any price. Well, a decent 6-digit sum might peak my attention. Still, the first 30-45 minutes of playing each day is on a sleeping giant...

5. Full disclosure:
    I've never heard or played a Strunal or a Bob's
    Bulgarian.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    thats another option. my school has 6 basses, and plans on getting 6 more this year, so kids can have a bass to play at home. maybe i could buy the Roth i play at school. its beat up a bit, but then again i just dont trust a bass without some scratches. anyway, the thing sounds magnificent, not at all like the new ones at school where the sound is VERY compressed.

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yeah, I didn't have one here when you came down last year. I keep one here all the time now, somebody's driving down from CT tomorrow to test drive a four string.

I actually expect to have a five string here shortly, which may be available for local sale.

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Openly admitting no credibility and being a new participant to this site, I spent several months looking to purchase an upright bass. I tested several basses of varying calibre in the Houston and Austin area, but settled on the novel idea of just ordering a new Strunal 5/35 for $1100 from NEMC in New Jersey and doing my own setup work. I picked up an adjustable bridge, a new endpin (I like a good endpin), tailpiece wire, Pirastro flexocore strings, and a Brazilwood Ary bow for around $600 (I think) from Lemur. All in all I thought I came out O.K., and the setup work I did was approved by a cellist in my local symphony who has a wonderful old German bass I wish my Strunal could at least look like. I'm not asserting that it was easy, nor am I a high school student, and when I was I would never have been interested in such an undertaking. I spent a good deal of time poring through violin repair and setup books at our local library and learned enough tricks of the trade to feel confident in my work, including soundpost setting, and I can afford to make mistakes (very important prequisite), but I haven't read of anyone dropping hard cash for a bass and going the direction I did yet, and I just wanted to say a little homework and sweat (and maybe luck too) can save you some money and get you a decent starter bass (and bow!) at the same time.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i figure im going to get a nice wood bow in the next few months. the bass comes later though... :(