Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im a dummy, made my nut slot loose

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rdhbass, Nov 5, 2003.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hi all, im a dummy. I had a file in my hand
    (dangerous) and wanted to remove some glue that was in my nut-slot where my nut is and i must have filed too much. Now my nut itself is loose in the slot,and i think the bottom of my slot is uneven. If i had a dremel tool, or a router, i'd simply put some wood in the slot to fill it and re-route the 1/8 inch slot (P-bass). Guess i'll just have to live with my nut jiggling around? Guess plenty of glue will hold it in place? :bawl: :bawl: :confused:

2. It's very likely that your nut slot was already too big and the factory used just enough glue to hold it in place. You can do the same...

Use a yellow carpenters glue only. Don't use CA (super glue) or epoxies. The yellow glue will hold it in place laterally and the string tension will keep it seated. The glue fills pretty well and you can always wick-in more if there are unsightly gaps.

BTW - the yellow glue is used in case you ever want to get the nut out again. Don't worry, it's luthier approved!:D