I'm a Fender convert

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ted, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    To make a long story short, I got a Fender MIM Standard 5 as my first five-string. I couldn't be happier - I managed to get one fresh out of a factory box, without the grungy fingerboard and 1 inch string action of typical off-the-wall models. While the tone is satisfying as is, the single coil pickups hum even when you roll of one a tad. I recall reading somewhere that MIM 5's have non-standard pickups sizes. So my question is two fold - is it possible to replace the bi-pole pickups in now, and are there any recommendations for a "noiseless" replacement pair?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Sorry, but I'm a Fender dope. Is it the one with two Jazz type pickups?
    If that's the case, you're right. That pup size is a toughy.

(to make a short answer long :p ) I checked Basslines and Bartolini and
    they both noted that their J-type 5's are not recommended
    for yours. RioGrande J-5's might work. (at least they don't say it won't :) )

You could try gettin' in touch with `em to see what's what -

Are you handy with electronics?...soldering, etc. ? Do you have a VOM or DMM ?
    Volt-Ohm-Meter or Digital-Multi-Meter, resp. Set the meter on the lowest OHMS scale
    and place one lead on the outside (nut) of the output jack. With the other lead,
    probe all the exposed metal parts, i.e., control plate and bridge assembly.
    These should all read "0", or very close to it. If not, this could be part
    of the problem. There should be a ground wire from the control cavity to underneath
    the bridge, making contact. If you pop the control plate, the cases of the
    pots should read "0" also with reference to ground. If all this checks out,
    you may have to shield.

The Lane Poor site had a real good, step-by-step guide to shielding a bass (w/pics!).
    His server seems to be outta' whack though. The link below is the best I could do
    on short notice. It details how to shield a setup similar to yours, i.e., 2 pups.

Ummm...there's pix! :D . OK! OK! It's for a g**t*r :( , alright?!? :rolleyes::p (Telecaster).

3. Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks notduane. I actually contacted Larray Polluck at Aero Pickups (I've heard some good reviews of his stuff) to see if he could make a replacement. He said that the F Bass style replacement would work; however, he does not have the pickup covers for the Standard 5 pickups, so I would have to reuse the covers in currently or get replacements from Fender. Though the pickups are upper-end as far as the price goes, they seem the most likely choice now.

As for the humming sound, I discovered that it only occured in the particular room I was playing in the time, which I assume is linked to 60-cycle hum from the lighting and is unavoidable as long as the bass uses single coils.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    all-righty :D