I'm a flunky...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, May 14, 2004.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Since my regular band has gotten a producer it's kind of metamorphosised into a two-man show. The first part is the guitarist/singer, who is also the songwriter. The second is the producer, and together they pretty much determine the direction of the song. Which has developed into a problem for me.

They don't feel that my material meshes with his, which may be true... we sound pretty different. So now I don't feel like much of a contributer anymore. I have told them that I don't want them messing with the bass... so at least I have that. But never before did I feel like I was 'just the band's bassist'... rather than a band member.

Anyways, there are some definate reasons to stay. I do have a couple thousand bucks invested in the band's EP. This is a good band with fun and interesting material. In spite of my creative issues with it, the singer/guitarist and producer are nice people. I have no doubt of the quality of their work. Also, this band seems likely to go somewhere.

So, what do ya think? Should I stay in the band as a flunky? Or should I cut out to find a new home where I can do more creatively.
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dunno man, it's really your call, but it sounds like you have a pretty good thing going. If it was me in that situation, I'd probably stay with the band, but do a solo album or side project or something.

Actually, that's kind of my situation anyways. I'm in a band, but when I'm not doing that I work on my solo album. That way, I can exersize all my creativity either with the band or at home.

But again, it's your call, but that's just my $.02.