1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm a flunky...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, May 14, 2004.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Since my regular band has gotten a producer it's kind of metamorphosised into a two-man show. The first part is the guitarist/singer, who is also the songwriter. The second is the producer, and together they pretty much determine the direction of the song. Which has developed into a problem for me.

They don't feel that my material meshes with his, which may be true... we sound pretty different. So now I don't feel like much of a contributer anymore. I have told them that I don't want them messing with the bass... so at least I have that. But never before did I feel like I was 'just the band's bassist'... rather than a band member.

Anyways, there are some definate reasons to stay. I do have a couple thousand bucks invested in the band's EP. This is a good band with fun and interesting material. In spite of my creative issues with it, the singer/guitarist and producer are nice people. I have no doubt of the quality of their work. Also, this band seems likely to go somewhere.

So, what do ya think? Should I stay in the band as a flunky? Or should I cut out to find a new home where I can do more creatively.

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dunno man, it's really your call, but it sounds like you have a pretty good thing going. If it was me in that situation, I'd probably stay with the band, but do a solo album or side project or something.

Actually, that's kind of my situation anyways. I'm in a band, but when I'm not doing that I work on my solo album. That way, I can exersize all my creativity either with the band or at home.

But again, it's your call, but that's just my $.02.