i'm a fool. (bassix EUB?)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by petekerr, Oct 27, 2002.

1. petekerr

Oct 27, 2002
    as per topic, i'm a fool. my love of jazz and my love of the double bass sound have finally lead me to (seriously thinking about) purchasing an EUB.

this, i realise, doesn't sound terribly foolish, except that i have basically no knowledge of how to play one, have never touched one and can't really afford one.

i'm looking at buying a bassix multitech 2 at less than half price from a friend (read "vague acquaintance") across the water.

this is the boy:

now....the reason i've started this post in the first place:

1) has anyone ever heard of/played one of these? i've only read 1 review online

2) should i trust that someone who's "hardly ever played it" but says it sounds great isn't selling me a lemon?

3) is it remarkably dumb of me to be even considering this with grade 3 piano (several years ago) being my greatest musical achievement thus far?

oh, and he's selling it for about £400 (~$600) which i thought was pretty darn good.

thanks in advance,

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    You're no more foolish than everone else who has launched a quest for artistic satisfaction. It is never too late. Everyone begins somewhere.

On the other hand, you obviously have questions about the quality of the advice you're getting and that speaks for itself. Also and perhaps most importantly, IMO, saying, "I'm deeply drawn to DB so I'll buy an EUB" is like saying, "I'm deeply drawn to canoeing so I'll buy a motorboat."

Tally ho, Quixote!
  3. I'm with Sam on your logic. I recommend that you continue "seriously thinking about" purchasing an instrument. First order of business would be to spend more time listening to EUB vs DB so that you can choose with conviction which sound you want. Think about whether you'll ever want to play arco, orchestra or jazz. IMHO, arco EUB sound sucks, big-time, but that's my personal hang-up. See who's playing which in the music format that appeals to you. Then think some more. Ask questions of the players that you hear. Then buy what makes you happy.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did buy and EUB, but I would never have done so without trying it first to see how it sounded and also as you mentioned - to find out whether I could actually play it.

I tried all the basses (including Double Basses) I could actually get to, first and only after trying the EUB I bought for about an hour, finally made up my mind.

But I must say that some instruments I tried - I just could get no sound out of them or play them to any sort of standard.

If you can't try something first I would say you are taking a big risk and should think very hard. Some people around here, have mentioned renting basses and this might be a better option if you can't get to (or afford to) try any other basses?
  5. petekerr

Oct 27, 2002
    thanks guys.

yea, i think i've kinda realised the error of my ways. :) problem is, i've tried all of the music shops within a 30 mile radius (living in northern ireland, that's a large radius) and none of them rent DBs. my only option is to (try) to enlist with my local school of music, who'll then rent me one, but that's a pretty nasty (and costly) option.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ahhh- Northern Ireland - that could be a problem for trying basses.

Actually enlisting at a music school sounds like a very good option to me and would be exactly what I'd do if I could. Your piano stuff can only be a help and you would make much more progress that way, rather than being stuck with an EUB on your own.

If you can put that £400 towards music lessons then I would think this would be a much better investment, especially if you can hire/borrow a DB as part of the package.