Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im a former drummer moving to bass, any advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by megatron, Aug 8, 2003.

1. megatron

megatron

Jul 9, 2003
    Any tips? Should I teach myself or get lessons? Thanks.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Of course you want to utilize all the info you can. Lessons, or watching and listening to others. Mostly listening.

Stay solid, don't get too flashy.

When in doubt, ask a pro. Or, get lessons from one.

Good luck finding a good drummer.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't use sticks :D

:bassist: <--- see? No sticks!

P Aaron nailed it, not much else to worry about for now.

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    This is an advantage! I was told years ago that a good bass player should follow the kick. Also, less is usually more. Listen to Pink Floyd the Wall live and you'll hear simplicity in Roger Water's playing but it's very powerful. I remember reading about a bassist who said that he'd solo and two people in the audience would listen or appreciate it. He then played in a reggae band with simple lines and the whole place was grooving. Last, join a band.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I played drums since I was 12 and moved to bass about a year ago. I am self taught, I don't want to learn anybodys bad habits just yet. I don't want to toot my own horn but I think I am almost if not as good as the bassists in my area now. Sure there are some better but my druuming helped out a lot. I already know tempo and timing, and basslines and drum beats in a song usually compliment each other, so we are ahead of the game. What helped me out is playing in a cover band, I download a ton of tabs and just play. Bass is fairly simple but you need structure in your learning curve and cover songs do that for me. I try to challenge myself by learning harder difficult songs. If you just sat and played riffs in your basement that wont get you nowhere. Covers allows you to learn from other bassists by copying thier technique and styles. Also depending on how long you have been playing drums you should have developed a good ear which will help you pick aparts songs and basslines easier, any other specific questions let me know good luck!

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    By the way ever hear of Jaco? He started out as a drummer and he is considered one of if not the best bassists ever if that tells you something.