Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im a freaking moron tonight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anubis101, Aug 28, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i cannot for the life of me figure out if these notes are in the same freaking key tonight...i dont know whats wrong with me so please help!!!

the notes are :B F E C A D C#

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Doesnt the F have to be sharp in order for the C to be sharp? So no theyre not in the same key.

Unless the C# is an accidental.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    F, should be sharp. It looks like it could be in C major with c# as an accidental, if the f is sharp that would be d major.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, it's definitely not a major scale. D major would be:

D - E - F# - G - A - B - C# - D

You're kind of close to Bebop minor which would be:

A - B - C - C# - D - E - F# - G - A

You have:

A - B - C - C# - D - E - F - A

So, you've lowered the F and you don't have the G, but that's the closest scale I can think of for what you're playing.

Maybe DURRL or BLINKY could help me on this one.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    As far as I can see, they are not all in the same key.

BLINKY TABEVIL

6. Looks to me like the C# is an accidental.

B C C# D

Three half steps?

If the F was sharp I would say the C natural is the accidental.

EDIT: I take that back. If the F was sharp it could also be the key of Gmaj or Emin and therefor the C# would still be the accidental.

7. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    thanks!!! all those notes are in this riff im working on to be the base of this mideastern-ish song and if i use an f# instead of and f it takes away from the feel a whole lot..anyone have a good scale that would help me for a mideastern feel? something kinda like minarets or the last stop by dave matthews band....

8. I think this kind of changes things.
    all your answers are pretty much based on traditional scales. In one country this may be a proper scale. For example the Eskimo scale has only 5 notes. approx. in example F G Bb Db Eb

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I think you're situation changes my answer. Use whatever notes you want, whatever sounds good to you. They do not have to follow anyone's rules about keys or anything.

Write what you want and let the theory nazis tell you what it was :D

10. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    alright cool, thanks everyone. ill let you know how it turns out when i finish it:D

11. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    wait, if i make the C# a G# does that help any?

12. yea it helps to change the song.

play it anyway you like and if asked just say you are playing select notes from the 12 note scale.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D

ANUBIS: I really agree with BLINKY and GRUFF, play what sounds good to you, if you want someone to analyze afterwards, that's fine, but just play what your ear likes.

If you want help naming a scale or anything like that, we will certainly help, but don't neglect using a certain melody or harmony because it doesn't necessarily make a scale. Have fun with it.

14. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    cool. but i meant i want to change it to g#. and i was just wondering if that put in a key

15. Ok then let me ask you this. Do you know how to play a major scale?

If not in C it would be CDEFGABC

Do you know the notes on the neck?
    If not. . .well I can write them out here, so learn them. When you can do those two things and I am guessing you can, try to figure it out for yourself and come back and tell us.

We will be waiting.

16. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    alright, another question for you all. i know all the notes etc. but i dont know many scales or anything.
    if there is a major scale is there a minor scale? and whats a penantonic(sp?) scale?:confused:

17. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Check out this useful article on Talkbass contributed by one of the regular members, Jazzbo.

http://www.talkbass.com/articles/articleview.php?ID=19

18. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    cool thanks,

jazzbo's the man