1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm a high fiver!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 23, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I finally decided to go nuts and change over to the high C crowd in the five string world. I figured, what the hell? I bought a six string set since
    • A) No one I am aware of make five string sets with a high C
    • B) I can always shift them over if I don't like the C, cause I'm going to save the B

(^ List feature :D )

All went well. I was afraid that the nut slot issue might give me trouble. The slots look like they are a little big, but I don't have any rattling so I guess all is well. I had to do a quick tweak to the truss rod, but that was no problem. Also, since the only six string set available was 34" scale, I was kinda gambling that all would be well considering I have a 35" bass. But it works, and it works well. I highly recommend it. :D

2. I'll stick to my phat B thankyou very much! lol whatever takes your fancy. good to hear it worked.

:D:D

Merls

3. I've just firmed up some plans for a new Frankenbass and have decided that a high five setup is going to be my choice. That low B really throws me off and my style fits the higher register anyway.

4. I did that with a Washburn XB500 I had. Worked pretty good. That was when I had 2 5string basses. But it's not a big priority now, but I did like the other side of extended range bass playing.

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    :confused: Two guys with the same head??
    Who's who??

6. I have a XB500 too! i lurv it! lolol

:D:D

*ahem*

Merls

• I had my fretless set up llike this for a while. Very nice. As far as no one making a five string set with a C, I know DR used to. I bought them by accident. At first I thought maybe it was a packaging mistake but the outside package clearly listed the guages as 30 45 65 85 105.

I looked on their site just now and if they did offer this set, they don't anymore.

7. warwick offer a set with 30-105

i've never tried the Warwick branded strings, but i'm also just about to string my fretless as a high C bass

8. Pietzsa

Pietzsa

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    I just converted my Stingray 5 to a high fiver and I won't be going back. I play a lot of chords and do a lot of tapping things so it fits my style better. I just ordered a bunch of C strings from JustString.com and that way I just buy 4 string sets when I need to change strings. I didn't have to change my nut or anything. It really frees you up for expression, especially if you don't have a guitar player in your band.

9. 6 months ago I picked up an inexpensive 5 to try out the hiC, it has becmoe the other bass I always take to the gig and my Low B bass just gets used in the studio.