Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm a little confused

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JonnyLentilbean, Feb 22, 2003.

1. i hear the following thrown around: "jaco was brilliant at flying through those 1/16 notes".

now, on his self-titled album, on the song "donna lee".. are those the 1/16 notes that are spoken of? because as those are fast, i don't really have a problem playing them. with the different time signatures and bpm, what is the standard here, if there is one at all?

in the same respect, let's glance at semi-old-school rock/metal. iron maiden... what credentials must be in place for one to possess the 'steve harris hand'?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I don't know if this is what you want to know, but Steve Harris plays by rapidly alternating three fingers of his right hand to achieve his characteristic "bass gallop" sound. So I believe in order to have his "hand" you would need to develop the agility, strength and endurance to achieve a rough approximation of his sound. You might also need a Fender Precision bass and I understand Harris prefers flatwound strings.

Another bassist who uses the three finger technique is Billy Sheehan. I don't know if Harris has actually written about his technique, but Billy Sheehan has written about his in various article over the years. You might be able to do a web search or go to Billy Sheehan's web site for more information.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A good example of Jacos killer 16ths are in "teen town" on Weather reports "heavy weather" also the track Kuru/speak like a child....has a killer 16th note groove that while its not a terribly difficult groove to play, try playing the whole song through....that takes stamina.

also if you check out the solo album
    "word of mouth" there are some great examples his "famous" 16th note style

It wasn't the speed so much as it was the flavor, Jaco was remarkable when it came to creating brilliant lines that grooved like none other and that flowed through the chord changes and melody of the song beautifully. his snycopation and sense of time was un matched if you ask me....though many many many many many people try to imitate it.

I used to dabble in 3 finger technique...and certainly with a 3 fingers you can do really rapid triplets. but for the most part 2 fingers is just fine, it gives me more control and I still have the same speed as with 3(actually I think I can play faster with 2 than with 3)

4. thanks... that answered my question.