I'm a member of the "new bass" club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I have to share this with someone, and my girlfriend will hit me if I talk about it with her for one more minute...

Well, if anone remembers my post a few days ago about eBay packing/shipping advice, I was in the lead for a bass that I've been searching for a while now. I'm happy to announce that I am the winner (and soon-to-be official owner) of a 1992 Fender Jazz Bass Plus V!

I've never been one for major G.A.S attacks (not including my "starter bass," I've owned four basses in 10 years, two of which are my workhorses), but for a while now I've been wanting to make a five-string my "full time" instrument. Don't get me wrong - I love my six-string, but besides the fact that its extremely heavy design (neck-through construction with maple and mahogany) and my bad back don't go well together for extended periods of time, I'm come to realize that I haven't incorperated the high-C string into my playing enough to justify being a six-stringer exclusively.

For a good deal of time I've been searching for a five string design that fit my particular needs - a smaller/lighter body and tighter string spacing (as I'm not the biggest bassist on this forum), quality hardware and electronics, and a good deal (I am a university student, and can consist on Ramen noodles for only so long!). After some research, I found the Jazz Plus V series. It was Fender's top of the line bass during its run from 1988-94, but goes for a reasonable price used today, as it wasn't very popular during its production (I think we can agree that the general view of Fender fans are that they are notorious for rejecting anything outside their tried-and-true standards, and the JP-V was certainly a "modern" bass at the time). After bidding (and losing) on three separate auctions, I finally snagged one for a steal – easily $50-$100 under what they usually go for (and a very good condition to boot for a 10-year-old bass). Needless to say, I’m as happy as John Turner at a Conklin convention. ;) Some of its snazzy features include:

-Downsized alder Jazz bass body.

-Maple neck/rosewood finderboard w/ satin finish.

-Schaller bridge, Gotoh turing keys. By all accounts, top quality hardware.

-Fender Lace sensor pickups with Philip Kubicki active preamp. Everyone I've talked to about the Lace/Kubicki preamp combo is that it's extremely versatile setup, giving you everything from modern to vintage sound, with the ability of running active, active with an adjustable midrange boost, or passive. This was a major selling point for me.

Sorry if I'm gloating, but... *%@# it, I'm not sorry! I've had to listen about people buying Spectors, Sterlings and P-basses (Oh my! ;)) for a while, and now it's my turn. :D. I'd also like to thank everyone who gave me the wonderful advice about packing and shipping. The seller and I came to a compromise that works for both of us, and I wouldn't have had the information if not for TB's!

2. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    sweet deal on that bass, im in australia and the cheapest fender is $1400, the jealousy reeks :(
    hehe :D
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice Bass and good score I might add!
    Enjoy the hell out of it:D
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Australian dollars, right? So that should be 722.36 USD?
  5. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    fender makes shipping worth the effort. its too expensive so ill just have to make my next 5'er a Spector.
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania