1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm a n00b, with a serious question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ak1nney, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Ak1nney

Ak1nney

Apr 14, 2006
    I am playing bass in my band, actually this is the first time I have played bass, but I am pretty good at guitar, so I am just trying to transfer it over, but ya anyways. His practice amp he has isnt nearly loud enough to play on with the whole band. I have a Washburn BD 40 watt guitar amp. I have read different things about playing a bass through a guitar amp, something about it could mess something up or sometimes not. I am wondering if I could play his Samick bass through my guitar amp. Sorry if this question is aksed a lot :bawl: . But ya, I want to get a Fender Precision Bass and this cool Peavey bass amp I saw, but see I don't have the money right now. Well let me know what you think on this idea about my amp, thanks.

2. you're obviously going to be lacking some lows, but you should be fine as long as you don't push that amp too much. I imagine that it would be easier to blow a speaker on it with a bass, also.

I don't know if 40 watts watts would be enough for any band situation regardless of whether it was for bass of guitar.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    It's not recommended.

But, if you don't have a choice, you don't have a choice.

If you're going to be playing at reasonable levels of volume(keeping up with drummer during practice) then risk of damaging the speaker will be greatly increased due to the low power.

Make sure you pay a great deal of attention to how it sounds to keep from damaging the speaker.

I would recommend setting it up as close to ear level as you can. That could help you keep from having to turn it up as loud.

It's not recommended, but if you don't have a choice....what are ya gonna do?

4. Get choices :p

5. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Hmmmm. . .I know you don't have a bass amp, and I understand being short on cash, but if you do that there's a decent chance you'll be saving up for a bass amp and a guitar amp. I wouldn't risk it. Plus, 40 watts is going to be pretty much useless anyway.

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    [yoda] A job, one must get. [/yoda]

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This much is true. Move on the amp first. You could have a killer Precision bass, but with 40 watts, no one will know.

-Mike

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I do not recommend playing bass through a 40 watt guitar amp, but as you say.... choiceless. I would definately not go for tone with the guitar amp, and go for volume, so bass rather low, mids high, higher frequencies medium. Play around with it. Here are a few possibilities you might not have considered. Renting an amp, playing together with the keyboard amp (if you have a keyboardist), again, volume not necessarily tone. Good luck.

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Equipment-wise, there's already some good advice here (mainly being that your present amp will be pretty-much completely useless - especially if you're playing with a real drummer on an acoustic drum set).

But my (off-topic) advice has to do with your quote, above. Don't transfer-over too much of your guitar playing to bass. Remember: it's a bit of a different animal...

Joe

10. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    When i was first starting bass, i used an older Peavey Tube guitar amp, ran through the clean channel into 2) 12" subs that i had laying around and the internal speaker. It was nice and loud, but i doubt i could have gigged with it.

Suggestion: a 2x10 w/ a head. Should be enough for shows.

And just remember, when your playing bass, you play the **** people dance too. Listen to the drummer, and whenever you hear the kick drum hit, make your finger/pick line up with it (even a little behind it) and you'll do fine. Bass player make the booties shake.

"shake shake shake... shake shake shake... " :)

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Without new gear, you could go, Bass to elevated guitar amp w/bass cut, and the amps, line out to the p/a, or a Big home sterio system.
    My first bass rig was a stratocaster with the biggest strings I could find, into a big (high-end, 70s) home sterio, using the mic input.

12. Ak1nney

Ak1nney

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks for all the great advice, you guys are really awesome. I think I will just play it safe, cause I don't wanna throw away all that money if I screw up my amp. I'll just do what I can with what I got now till I get the money. Thanks a lot though.:bassist:

13. Did I just read that right???

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I wouldn't play through a guitar amp. You'll end up killing the speaker if you turn it up too much. Why not try plugging right into the P/A? Once agian, go easy with the volume, but that will work in a pinch. A used Peavy bass amp shouldn't cost too much. I'd rather have a decent amp and a lousy bass, that a great bass with a lousy amp.

15. Ak1nney

Ak1nney

Apr 14, 2006
    I have a goal to get a Fender Standard Precision Bass and this like 40 watt Peavey Bass, but I gotta get the money first. It turns out that my friends and I may practice at a place with a bigger amps, so I will actually be heard. But in the mean time I will try to put the smaller bass amp up at a higher level just so I can practice with them still and hear myself. For gigs we will use PA and all that so I will be okay on that, but that is a good month or 2 away, so I will be okay for now I think. Thanks for all the good advice though, if you guys got any other good advice let me know. I liked the comment the guy said about not playing a bass like a guitar, it makes sense because at first I was trying to play it too much like a guitar like in my style, but I am like playing with the drummer more now, and I am getting better.

16. Just be real careful of blowing the 40w amp inadvertantly.