Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm a new papa...six (count em) six strings baby!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reachjkh, Jul 15, 2003.

1. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Yes! I just acquired a six string bass. It's a Dean Edge 6. Granted, it's not what I daydreamed about, and it's got dark purple stain, but it does have six strings and a resonably comortable neck. And at $100 it was a deal that was just was too good to pass up.

My father is a luthier and is going to put a new nut on it, un-shim the neck, and do an overall tweak. I will be putting a "brushed" finish on the back of the neck with steel wool rather than strip and oil it.

I've been wanting to get a low b string instrument for some time now, but the fives I've played just seem to be missing something for me. So I decided I probably wanted a six and started looking at one every now and then whenever I could find one in a music store. So far I am having no problem moving between my jazz and the new bass. I will probably wait a month or two before I take it to gig. I'll at least take it to a few practices before I actually perform with it, but I feel very at home after just a day or two on it. I will also need to pick up an 8 ohm Acme LowB for when I take an amp with me(oh darn).

One potential problem is the fact that I looked at it sitting on the stand and thought to myself..."you know, I bet a seven string would be fun". AAGH! Before you know it, I'll freakin' turn into Progzilla or John Turner with 12 big-neck basses laying around my house!
    (again...oh darn):)

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D :D i got my Corvette Std 6 last week - and me too I have this feeling of wanting to try a 7 (or even a 9)... but my bass is great so, the six strings fit me well - I love it!

3. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Excellent. Congrats on that Corvette. I've never played one, but they look nice.

Have you seen that evil green nine string that shows up in threads every now and then?
    Wicked.

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    which? No, i didnt. Is it a Warrior, a Conklin or a Roscoe or what else?

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    reachjkh:

Congrats on a nice bass. I have Dean 6 string fretless, which I recently re-discovered (I hadn't played it for a while). I really like it -- I put some Labella black nylon tapewound strings on it, and with the tone control rolled off, I really dig the sound of the passive HZs.

Anyway, enjoy!
    -Aram

6. That green 9 is made by Dolan. Here's a pic for your reference:

7. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Yea, that's the evil bass I was talking about.

Aram, I wonder if those tape wounds would sound good on a fretted? Hmmm. Still, I'll probably go with DRs since I love my Low Riders.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    If you like low-end thump they would rock -- but there are two problems: (1) they're kind of expensive if you're not sure you want to keep 'em, (i think i got mine as a closeout somewhere...); and (2) it's a pain finding a high C string (I still haven't...I use a roundwound, but it's thin enough that you don't really notice sound-wise).

Definitely post some pics if you can when your dad's done with the mods.

-Aram

PS - that 9-string is gnarley! :bassist:

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It looks like Edward Sciccorhands was messed up a bass recently :eek: :D :D :D

:bag:

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A bit like a warwick Vampyre with some more cuts on the horns - must be uncomfortable as hell
    :looks at the nice, smooth body of the Corvette:
    dont think I would play it - unless someone payed me to :cool: It lokks kinda cool, but a bit unuseable