Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm a new user!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lenko, May 3, 2003.

1. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Hi everybody!
    I'm a new user here. I come from Slovenia and I like funk and jazz (among the other styles). My favourite bassists are Marcus Miller and Lincoln Goines. My bass is Washbrn XB400, but I'm thinkink of getting Carvin Claro Walnut 6-string. What do you think about that bass? I'm looking for a sound that is very much Fodera-like. Possible with that bass?

2. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass! Sorry I can't help you with those basses, But I am sure you will find someone here in no time that WOULD know.

3. aloha
    TB is a very chill place. have fun!

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haven't played a fodera or carvin, but welcome to TB!

BUMP!

5. Welcome to Talkbass.

If you do not get a response to your question on this thread start another with a more specific title. That should get you some answers

I have found all of my questions have been answered, from the most basic upwards.

Sorry I can't help you about your question.

Matthew

6. Hi! Welcome to TB!

I have owned both Fodera and Carvin. Personally, I see them as two completely different animals. IMO, while the construction of a Carvin is good, the electronics have room to improve.

Which Fodera are you interested in? In my experience, different models sound very different.

I would say that if you are heart-set on Fodera tone/quality you might want to consider saving up for a used Fodera. Another option might be to have one of the newer great luthiers (JP Basses, Nordstrand, Brubaker, etc) that are building instrments that rival Fodera (or any other high-end builder) in quality build you something that has the attributes you desire for a price that is much less than Fodera.

Good luck!
    Jeff

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    welcome to talkbass. glad you joined us :)

8. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Hi,
    Just curious, what kind (brands) of basses can you get over there in Slovenia? I have had problems getting gear at decent prices in this side of Europe (opposite to yours) . Most brands get prices about 1.5 times what they cost in, say, the US (except Warwicks, which I find extremely expensive in the US). Even Peaveys can be expensive!

9. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    moog_pt: gear here in Slovenia is expensive as hell; EBS used to be really cheap, but I think that's because amps were smuggled. Also, you won't be able to find a lot of different gear; Ibanez, Fender, Washburn, Boss, EBS, Peavey, EHX, Ampeg, Dunlop...
    I don't know about Warwicks since there are none here; rhough, I know a guy who "imports";) them for very good price.
    Price ratio is very simillar in our country; 1:1,5. Some basses are even pricier though...
    Jeff Rader: I'm into Linclon Goines sound; that would be Imperial series, if I'm not wrong.

10. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Lenko, you can try and do as I did: Most of my gear came from the US - a VISA card sometimes is very useful ;)
    After the sellers price, I still have to add 19% VAT (value added tax) and all the customs fees. Guess what? It's still worth it.
    By the way, do you have any idea of how much a Fodera costs? ANY Fodera?

11. Xaros

Xaros

Feb 23, 2003
    Greece, Athens
    Moog_pt you are right, i come from greece and here the Usa made basses are double priced!

12. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Yes, I do...5000$ +, I guess...:mad: Well, it's not much for a bass like that but it's a lot for a 17 years old bassist, who still lives with his parents (that would be me).

13. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Xaros and Lenko: Let alone the fact that the minimum wage in our Countries (a good measure of realtive wealth) is a fraction of what it is in the US, Germany or the UK ... Then people wonder why there's not more music coming from other countries.

14. Xaros

Xaros

Feb 23, 2003
    Greece, Athens
    It's really annoying when you see the ads in Bass Player and you see the prices...i am only 17 years old and i take 10 euros a week for all the week, how it is possible to buy gear? I was saving for 3 years to take that Usa Hamer 2-tek.

15. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Well I stopped music for a while, until I graduated from college and started working. Only got decent gear AFTER I moved out of my parent's house. Goes to show ya ...

16. Xaros

Xaros

Feb 23, 2003
    Greece, Athens
    I probably the only one hear that haves a 10 watt amp. But i can still practise using my pedal and my earphones

17. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    THAT'S THE SPIRIT!