I'm a newbie and a Blink fan, but I NEED help

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DJCrashAL01, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJCrashAL01

Jul 11, 2002
    Wyoming, MI
    I just started playing bass, and I'm just curious if any other Blink fans have tips for me on how to play like Mark. For those of you who hate Blink, i'm sorry, I know it's not the hardest stuff to play, but that's one reason why I wanna learn it. So, if anyone has any tips on what to use, or how to tune, or how to pick, or anything that might help me, please let me know. Thanks

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    So you wanna play like mark huh? Ok here are a few tips.

1)Play with a hard pick not the soft kind.

2)Drop your IQ level a few points.

3)Kiss a few guys.(take one for the team:D )

4)Don't listen to a word I say.
  3. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    things that will help your punk rock bass playing:

GO TO THE SOURCE OF THIS STYLE. PICK UP THE FIRST RAMONES CD AND PLAY ALONG WITH IT. THE BASS IS ON THE LEFT CHANNEL AND THE GUITAR IS ON THE RIGHT. ADJUST THE BALANCE ON YOUR STEREO TO HEAR ONLY THE BASS. Start out with slow songs like 53rd & 3rd and Beat On The Brat. Eventually you'll be able to play stuff like Chainsaw and Blitzkreig Bop.

Practice using downstrokes (instead of up and down). this will give your sound more power. start out slow and gradually work up the speed.

Using a heavy pick is a good idea also.

Listen to Green Day to see great bass playing in a pop punk context.

Adjust your strap to where your right arm is comfortable and not straining. too high or too low puts stress on your picking arm.

practice, practice, practice!!

ROCK OUT! and don't forget to have fun.:D
  4. for quarter notes, this is good advice, but for faster stuff you really have to practice up-and-down or you'll suddenly find yourself behind one day.

but i do agree that you should listen to plenty of green day. mike dirnt is one of the best pop-punk bassists ever.

and, just to balance yourself out, play fingerstyle once in a while. otherwise, if you decide someday that you'd like to switch from pick to fingers, you'll have to completely relearn the instrument. it's best to start with both techniques from the beginning.

oh, and the MOST IMPORTANT thing you should know: play with a lighter touch. almost every beginning bassist i know, ESPECIALLY those that play with picks, absolutely pound the strings. this is bad. if the string is rattling against the frets, you're doing it wrong. turn up your amp and play softer.

good luck!
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Play a pink 3 quater sized Fender with Skull and crossbone inlays :D

Ok seriously, just learn it and have fun. Thats why the lines are so simple, because they are meant make u feel good and have fun.

When you have had enough of blink (it will happen, but you go in and out of stages where you like them and hate them :D) move onto Greenday, like everyone else has been saying.

Mike uses different approaches to interact with the guitar. Some of his basslines, are actually the basis for an entire song. (longveiw)

And when you have had enough of Mike, play some of his basslines with your fingers. There is a pretty darn good riff to be discovered if you play "When I come around" whist slapping!

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    marks setup is fender jazz bodies with P bass necks and P bass pickups, SD quarter pounders to be precise. He plays ampeg heads, svt 4's i think or 3's and ampeg 8x10 and 2x15's. Thats about all their is to his tone, pretty basic, i actually like his tone alot. I can say not alot of people would like mark, or even blink if they werent about the best live show ever. They are a fun band and create good songs, but arent gonna impress anyone with their licks. I love blink, but your right their stuff is pretty simple and fun to learn and play. Good luck.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I seem to remember he EQs with the treble boosted.
  8. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
  9. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Its fun, and he isnt the greatest player on earth, so he wants something cool to play along with.

Kapish? :D
  11. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Your his dad?! :D
  12. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Luke I am your father! (Put 5 gallon plastic bucket over your head and make Darth noises)
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    OK, OK. Maybe he will have fun playing it and say "Wow. This is a fun instrument to play. I think I'll stick with it!"
    The statement just struck me funny, ya know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.