Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im a newbie

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Mar 7, 2006.

1. im a newbie bass player does anybody have any good tips for me:hyper: :help: :bassist:

2. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I love the vagueness of these posts, :p if you want some tips, I would go back and read some threads that have a lot of remarks. Also stickied threads, because asking this vague of a question makes it hard for me to help with.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Practice hard but not enough to do yourself injury.

Move with the groove. Don't be afraid to relax and really get into it.

Find a good teacher. Real or imagined.

Keep a good attitude with the people who teach you AND the people you play with.

Learn to use your gear. If you get frustrated by it break out the manual and figure out what you are doing wrong.

Learn about gear in general. It really makes things easier.

Always, ALWAYS have fun. If it's not fun, it's not worth it.

That's just a few to get you started. There are many more.

:D

Joe.

4. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    When practicing scales and arpeggios, make sure to play them up and down all the strings. Just because you can't play another full octave (such as from an open string to the twelfth fret) doesn't mean the music stops there.

For many years, I didn't learn to "link" scales together for more than three adgjacent strings, a real time waster for me.

I would really suggest you find a teacher, even if they are not a "legitimate" teacher with a degree and such. Hanging out with and learning from people better than you is a great way to gain perspective on the instrument, and on playing that you would not be able to do otherwise. If you can find a teacher who can teach you theory, bassline construction, reading music, and all the stuff that doesn't seem "fun", you will really be better off in the long run.

A "legitimate" teacher can help you learn how to teach yourself. And all this is coming from someone who has never had a real teacher, but has seen from other people that taking lessons can really open your playing up in a BIG WAY

5. Start_Me_Up

Start_Me_Up

Dec 3, 2005
    Learn stuff to add to your licks repitoire. Even if it's something incredibly simple, you might be suprised how it helps you later on.

6. what about slap bass

7. All that - and I would like to add to/elaborate on some points.
    1. Enjoy what you are doing and try not to evaluate your progress based on 'your friend who plays better then you' - there is always someone out there who plays better then you and someone who plays better then them. If you allow the feeling that you are not 'as good as this one guy' to creep into your thoughts you will be constantly chasing someone else's tail.

2. "Move with the groove. Don't be afraid to relax and really get into it." AMEN! I have been playing for over 23 years and I just recently discovered this little gem! I cannot stand still now when I play and I am telling you it has done more for my ability to 'stay in the pocket' then any scale exercises or metranomes could ever do! And as a bass player, you are either 'in the pocket' or unemployed.

3. "Learn about gear in general." - Another AMEN! For all those years I never understood the relationship between my amp and my cabinet - tubes and how to care for them - proper instrument setup and how much difference that makeS in playability. Either learn about all this yourself or plan on being a regular at the shop with your, "My amp sounds funny..." or "what is wrong with my bass?" issues. I have spent the last few years crawling forums like this and reading books about instrument and equipment care to help me overcome my ignorance. It has been well worth it!

4. Get inspired from other musicians! Play with others who are inspired and inspiring. Nothing causes you to focus and progress more then wanting to be able to play with people who are really good!

5. HAVE FUN! ENJOY WHAT YOU DO! PLAYING MUSIC (ESPECIALLY BASS) IS A GIFT!