Im a noob to cabs, so help out a fellow bassist...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jan 10, 2005.

1. OK, so for the past year I've been running my bass through a fairly old but still great Mesa Boogie amp. Its served me fine but... I just dont get that volume I need without the sound quility going out the window. So I want to get myself a good cabinet, I was running my guitar through a Behringer 600 watt cabinate the other day, and I loved it, it had great mids a a punchy song of Zang to it, and was well within my price range, so when I'm in the know, i'll buy it.

BUT, having never actually thought about a cab, or known exaclt how stacks an whatnot work, I would have no idea how to set one up... So my question to you guys is... how the hell do I set one up? What goes where, what else do I need etc etc. If You can think of a question about a Cab or stack, you better believe I dont know the answer, so go nuts, give me as much info as my small feeble mind can muster!
  2. Very simply, a combo amp, like what you have, is all in one. A stacked setup involves the head, which amplifies and alters the sound, and the cabinet(s) which release sound through the speakers. You plug into the head, and the head is hooked up to the cab. If you want to break it down even more, some go for pre/power setups. Basically, the head can be further broken down into a preamp which gives the tone, and the power amp which boosts the volume. These are then fed into the cabinet, which pumps out the sound.

Basically, take the controls and stuff from your amp and make them one unit. Then, take the speakers and you've got another unit. Instead of having one package you've got two separate units.