Im A Novice, I Need Some Help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cisco Kid, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    ive only been playin for just over a year and the only amp ive been able to use is my brothers guitar amp, i dont have it loud so i dont think im in danger of breaking it and ive been using it for about a year and its still going so i guess im treating it okay cuz i only play it in my room so its pretty quiet but does it make a big difference to how the bass sounds if you get a bass amp? :confused:
  2. Hello 'Kid, and welcome to TB.

You're likely to ruin the speaker in the guitar amp. Playing it more softly will help prevent this, of course. Having said that many (say, 12") speakers are OK for guitar and bass and were used as such in the "good old days".

A decent bass setup is what you want, really. It doesn't have to be vastly expensive or anything and there are plenty of units on the market for a good price. Second hand might be a good idea: I saw a Carlsbro combo the other day for under £100 and it was good value IMHO.

One more thing....a posting tip, really. Please try to structure your posts more in line with written English. You know, sentences, full stops, paragraphs and all that stuff. Reading a long string of unpunctuated text is very tedious indeed. You're more likely to get the replies you're seeking if you do.

Nothing personal. :D Just thought it'd help.

3. John has a good point!

Carlsbro have exellent amps for good money!

Peavey amps are also something you might wanna check out!

Using a bass amp will improve your sound a LOT, and there will be no risk whatsoever of blowing it up;)

I have a Peavey Microbass 50 watt amp, that's fairly loud, boxed with manual I'm willing to sell... Probably £70 shipped!
  4. Cisco Kid

Cisco Kid

Sep 27, 2001
    haha cheers john... although "kid" is pretty patronising

thanks for the replies :)