1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm a schmuck!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Droog, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Though I would share stroy born of in-experiance.

So I have only been playing bass for 7 months or so and am pretty much completely self taught. Last night at practice I made a discovery that made me feel like a dumb ass. I've been playing with a pick alot lately and when I did use my fingers it just did not sound right. Then I discovered the huge difference it makes when I play directly over the pick ups as apposed to closer to the bridge. (P-bass) All the sudden I have a full tone. I have pretty nice rig and I just could not figure out why I was not crazy about my tone, and low and behold its cuz my technique sucks. Felt like an ass, oh well, now I know and knowing is half the battle.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's little things like which make a teacher a worthwhile investment. Even one lesson could have cured you of that- seven months ago. ;) Even if you only go for one lesson, a teacher can point out several things that will make you a better player by leaps and bounds.

One of the boons of playing with your fingers is that tonal versatility, as you found, is right there. A little shift can make a big difference.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I am definately planning on getting some lessons. I need refinement, and learning from a bass player is so much better than figuring things out based on what your band mates are telling you. Going to try and get some lessons in Feb.