Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm a schmuck!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Droog, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Though I would share stroy born of in-experiance.

So I have only been playing bass for 7 months or so and am pretty much completely self taught. Last night at practice I made a discovery that made me feel like a dumb ass. I've been playing with a pick alot lately and when I did use my fingers it just did not sound right. Then I discovered the huge difference it makes when I play directly over the pick ups as apposed to closer to the bridge. (P-bass) All the sudden I have a full tone. I have pretty nice rig and I just could not figure out why I was not crazy about my tone, and low and behold its cuz my technique sucks. Felt like an ass, oh well, now I know and knowing is half the battle.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's little things like which make a teacher a worthwhile investment. Even one lesson could have cured you of that- seven months ago. ;) Even if you only go for one lesson, a teacher can point out several things that will make you a better player by leaps and bounds.

One of the boons of playing with your fingers is that tonal versatility, as you found, is right there. A little shift can make a big difference.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I am definately planning on getting some lessons. I need refinement, and learning from a bass player is so much better than figuring things out based on what your band mates are telling you. Going to try and get some lessons in Feb.