Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im a solo bassist just trying to get my sound out there

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by erikh, Sep 29, 2005.

1. erikh

erikh

Sep 29, 2005
    sup dudes and dudesses? Im a 19yr old bassist from Boston MA just trying to get my music out there. Its all 1 take recording and mostly improvised, so its raw but you get the picture. Go to
    www.myspace.com/eriksmagicalpeanut if you want to check it out. For all you slap fanatics, check out the third song- 2nd is my fav though...
    PEACE brosephs!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig Phase in a "Sneaker Pimps" sort of way. Make more music like that.

The rest didn't do anything for me. But don't take that personally, I really dislike bass as a solo instrument and I have never been wowed before by any solo bass music.

3. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    My Apology was pure class! Thanks you for making stuff like this!

:)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm curious as to how you reconcile your approach to music with attending a school like berklee. If you truly view music as a supplement to life and something that is ultimately not to be taken with utmost seriousness all the time, then surely berklee's methods would be an enormous thorn in your side. Berklee's approach is more akin to business/career first art/life/expression second.

I went to berklee for 3 semesters and ultimately was totally turned off by the school, largely because in many ways it was like a factory, boxing up musical proficiency into little packets to dish out to diligent students. I didn't feel much if any infusion of life in their process, and ultimately I found that it was my own life, my own experience and my own music that compelled me, and berklee was just getting in the way.

That said, you make some points in your rant, but it's also pretty short sighted in a lot of ways. I agree with much of it, in theory, but I think you're been to exclusive with what is and isn't living life.

Your songs were cool, I don't know if you could market music like that tough, since it's not exactly revolutionary, the playing is fine, but what are you doing that's any different or worth listening to next to hundreds of other bassists at berklee? Every successful solo bassist has tread new ground or done something that's already been done, but done it better or taken it to the next level. Failing that, writing really good music(not just jamming improv all the time) is ultimately what you want to do if you're seriously a solo bassist trying to get your sound out there.

I don't mean to be harsh, just the way I see it, as a former berklee student, 20 year old, wouldbe solo bassist who has spent a lot of time thinking about all the things that you talked about.

5. erikh

erikh

Sep 29, 2005
    i left berklee last year, but i agree with what you said about originality. im only 19 man, i play what i hear and have fun with it. After six years of playing i cant revolutionize music, im trying my hardest though. plus, to be fair to my sound- there are only 4 songs on that site and I HATE RECORDING! live shows are where its at. Thanks for the opinion though man, PEACE!

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    ....my apology is amazin, nice use of hormonic, that was just so relaxing lol, how can anybody not like that, i would really wonna be able to play like that, but my style is more on the funk side and rocky, but can u give me any beginer tips to get started playing some stuff like that? i just thought that was amazing lol, i've never really been a fan of the victor wooten style slap pop but i sitll liked what u did, but my apology, i love stuff like that

7. erikh

erikh

Sep 29, 2005
    aaahhhhhh, my heart melts. I don't know how i can teach some of you guys this stuff over the internet, but all the tecnique stuff just came from trial and error man. what harmonics sound good over this note, which dont. I dunno, just experiment a lot. If you have any specific questions at any time, email me at eholencik@berklee.net.
    THANK YOU for listening bro.

8. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    np, i'll start experimenting with harmonics more n stuff, i might try and copy off a few things u did on my apology to get started aswell mabe, thx for the email, i may give u a shout if i get really badly stuck.

cheers

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Loved Phase. You should start doing that kind of stuff more often. You could easily start a white man's Groove Armada (also love GA). Sell it to coffee shops and stuff. Then do your other stuff as your live shows.

-Eric.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    good stuff, I like it. I agree, my apoloy is very good, but I liked phase best.

11. 'my apology' kicks ass bro, great composition.

12. VERY impressive! (Don't forget to tune up before doing "classica", next time.) "My Apololgy" sounds great!

What's your bass and gear? Nice sound.

13. i like it! i signed up :)

14. erikh

erikh

Sep 29, 2005
    thanks guys... yeah, classica sucks- it was something i did at three in the morning to try to get a bigger idea underway, just some experimenting. Anyways for my gear, I have a 1995 Warwick thumb bass neck thru and garageband along with a couple other recording programs on my cpu.
    Warwick makes an exceptionally versitile bass, I can get all different types of tones out of it (and there prices are decent).

15. Bassmonk3y

Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    I really dig all of this man... the way you combine elements, and overlay melodies is beautiful and enviable.

My only suggestion about your sound is that I'd love to hear some beats behind the other songs too... maybe some kit stuff for your slap, but a chilled beat on a djimbe, bongo or hand drum of any kind would so compliment your softer stuff. not too much going on, just enough to set the mood.

Most are rough recordings though, so i understand why they are bare.

Keep it up man! I tip many hats to you.